From: Lei Sun on

>>> Definitely a case where you want to _disallow_ core dumping. The
>>> resulting core dump is owned by someone other than the process that
>>> created it.

>>> Ditto.

>>> Ditto.
>>>

>> I really don't understand in all above 3 case, why am I not allowed to
>> dumping core...
>> Taking NFS mount as an example.
>> Yes, the process will dump out core file owned by other user. So will
>> be the "copy file over to NFS directory. Should it disallow copying
>> local file to NFS directory as well? if the NFS doesn't preserve the
>> original UID/GID?
>>
>> So you are saying, it is not a bug, it is expected behavour, e.g. I
>> can't dump core on above 3 cases?
>
> Yes
>
>> Although I don't see any security
>> threat of dumping core on NFS/USB and owned by other user.
>
> The security threat lies in the fact that core files are a memory dump. They can contain all sorts of information, such as passwords, ssl session data, ssh keys, private emails, etc. Stuff that you might not want to expose to other people.
>
> Trond

I understand the security concern. The original fix was for general cases.
What I am asking is "is it legitimate thing to do for a root user
process to dump core file on NFS directory?", there are two cases:

1. The NFS server doesn't change the UID/GID, in this case, the
current kernel allow dumping core over NFS.
2. The NFS server does change UID/GID, in this case the current kernel
doesn't allow core dumping.

So current kernel didn't answer the question, because it behave
differently based on different NFS server setting. �Vital information
is not protected for case #1, isn't it?

Hi Trond:
Any more comments on the question above?

Thanks