From: Steve on
Roughly 90% of the time when I power up my G5 iMac the display is
dimmed. The display preferences shows the brightness slider all
the way to the left, as dim as possible. I slide the slider to 80%
brightness and continue using the machine until I power it down.

Can anyone tell me why the preference setting isn't sticking?

Thanks.

-Steve
From: David Empson on
Steve <hexnut4(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Roughly 90% of the time when I power up my G5 iMac the display is
> dimmed. The display preferences shows the brightness slider all
> the way to the left, as dim as possible. I slide the slider to 80%
> brightness and continue using the machine until I power it down.
>
> Can anyone tell me why the preference setting isn't sticking?

Two possibilities occur to me:

(a) There is a setting in the PRAM which is stuck on low brightness.

Try resetting the PRAM by holding down Command-Option-P-R at startup,
until you hear the startup chime a second time.

(b) The file in which System Preferences stores that setting is damaged
in some way, which is preventing the setting change from being saved,
and it is reloading the incorrect low brightness setting each time you
start up.

I'd have to do some research to locate the file in question and don't
have time right now, but it is probably a user-specific setting located
in a file somewhere in the Library/Preferences folder inside your home
folder.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Steve on
David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>Steve <hexnut4(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Roughly 90% of the time when I power up my G5 iMac the display is
>> dimmed. The display preferences shows the brightness slider all
>> the way to the left, as dim as possible. I slide the slider to 80%
>> brightness and continue using the machine until I power it down.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me why the preference setting isn't sticking?
>
>Two possibilities occur to me:
>
>(a) There is a setting in the PRAM which is stuck on low brightness.
>
>Try resetting the PRAM by holding down Command-Option-P-R at startup,
>until you hear the startup chime a second time.
>
>(b) The file in which System Preferences stores that setting is damaged
>in some way, which is preventing the setting change from being saved,
>and it is reloading the incorrect low brightness setting each time you
>start up.
>
>I'd have to do some research to locate the file in question and don't
>have time right now, but it is probably a user-specific setting located
>in a file somewhere in the Library/Preferences folder inside your home
>folder.

I will try resetting the PRAM. I noticed when I first turn the machine
on the screen is bright for a bit but dims at or before the login screen.
This indicates to me that it isn't user specific.

Thanks for the PRAM suggestion, I should have thought of that <slaps head>.

-Steve
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <hvtb8n$am2$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Steve <hexnut4(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> >Steve <hexnut4(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Roughly 90% of the time when I power up my G5 iMac the display is
> >> dimmed. The display preferences shows the brightness slider all
> >> the way to the left, as dim as possible. I slide the slider to 80%
> >> brightness and continue using the machine until I power it down.
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me why the preference setting isn't sticking?
> >
> >Two possibilities occur to me:
> >
> >(a) There is a setting in the PRAM which is stuck on low brightness.
> >
> >Try resetting the PRAM by holding down Command-Option-P-R at startup,
> >until you hear the startup chime a second time.
> >
> >(b) The file in which System Preferences stores that setting is damaged
> >in some way, which is preventing the setting change from being saved,
> >and it is reloading the incorrect low brightness setting each time you
> >start up.
> >
> >I'd have to do some research to locate the file in question and don't
> >have time right now, but it is probably a user-specific setting located
> >in a file somewhere in the Library/Preferences folder inside your home
> >folder.
>
> I will try resetting the PRAM. I noticed when I first turn the machine
> on the screen is bright for a bit but dims at or before the login screen.
> This indicates to me that it isn't user specific.
>
> Thanks for the PRAM suggestion, I should have thought of that <slaps head>.
>
> -Steve

I wonder: Could it also be some sort of color profile issue?

JR