From: kBob on

I am attempting to install the GDAL bindings (GDAL-1.7.1) on a
Windows XP Desktop with Python 2.6 and GDAL. During install, the
script finishes with "error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat".

What dependencies am I missing?

C:\PyPI\GDAL-1.7.1>c:\python26\python setup.py install
running install
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
writing GDAL.egg-info\PKG-INFO
writing top-level names to GDAL.egg-info\top_level.txt
writing dependency_links to GDAL.egg-info\dependency_links.txt
reading manifest file 'GDAL.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
writing manifest file 'GDAL.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
installing library code to build\bdist.win32\egg
running install_lib
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'osgeo._gdal' extension
error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

Kelly Dean
Fort Collins, CO
From: Christian Heimes on
> I am attempting to install the GDAL bindings (GDAL-1.7.1) on a
> Windows XP Desktop with Python 2.6 and GDAL. During install, the
> script finishes with "error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat".
>
> What dependencies am I missing?

Visual Studio 2008

Christian

From: Mark Lawrence on
On 24/06/2010 21:48, Christian Heimes wrote:
>> I am attempting to install the GDAL bindings (GDAL-1.7.1) on a
>> Windows XP Desktop with Python 2.6 and GDAL. During install, the
>> script finishes with "error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat".
>>
>> What dependencies am I missing?
>
> Visual Studio 2008
>
> Christian

Not always, see my comment here.

http://www.mail-archive.com/python-win32(a)python.org/msg06755.html

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence

From: kBob on
On Jun 25, 1:26 am, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/06/2010 21:48, Christian Heimes wrote:
>
> >>   I am attempting to install the GDAL bindings (GDAL-1.7.1) on a
> >> Windows XP Desktop with Python 2.6 and GDAL. During install, the
> >> script finishes with "error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat".
>
> >> What dependencies am I missing?
>
> > Visual Studio 2008
>
> > Christian
>
> Not always, see my comment here.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/python-win32(a)python.org/msg06755.html
>
> Kindest regards.
>
> Mark Lawrence

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen.

I'll try my luck with Cygwin's ggc before I look into another C/C++
compiler.

Kelly Dean
Fort Collins, CO
From: Christian Heimes on
> I'll try my luck with Cygwin's ggc before I look into another C/C++
> compiler.

Better grab a recent build of MinGW32. Python's build system has native
support for mingw32. IIRC Cygwin's GCC is only supported for Cygwin
builds of Python.

Christian