From: Samuel Tardieu on

Tomek> I have got GNAT.Serial_Communications sources from GCC CVS,
Tomek> renamed packages and I am trying to compile:

You can't just do that and expect to work, as this unit depends on
other runtime library changes. For example, the "close" function in
System.Crtl was added on March 26th and is needed by
GNAT.Serial_Communications.

If you need this unit, you should either wait for the next release or
build a new compiler and runtime libraries.

Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam(a)rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/
From: stephane.los on
On 9 août, 16:58, Samuel Tardieu <s...(a)rfc1149.net> wrote:

> Tomek> I have got GNAT.Serial_Communications sources from GCC CVS,
> Tomek> renamed packages and I am trying to compile:
>
> You can't just do that and expect to work, as this unit depends on
> other runtime library changes. For example, the "close" function in
> System.Crtl was added on March 26th and is needed by
> GNAT.Serial_Communications.
>
> If you need this unit, you should either wait for the next release or
> build a new compiler and runtime libraries.
>
> Sam
> --
> Samuel Tardieu -- s...(a)rfc1149.net --http://www.rfc1149.net/

Hello,

I am learning Ada and I find it quite funny that this serial stuff
happens as COM ports are no more available on the machines...

Am I right spending my time trying to learn this language or is it
like latin (good to know some sentences to shine at tea time) ?

I don't appreciate tea too much...

Steve
From: anon on
It depends. On the low-end motherboards and stocked computer system the
uarts have been removed, or you could say replaced by the usb ports. But
most other motherboards and some server still have them. Plus you can
always add a uart card to any computer.

From: Ludovic Brenta on
Steve wrote:
> I am learning Ada and I find it quite funny that this serial stuff
> happens as COM ports are no more available on the machines...
>
> Am I right spending my time trying to learn this language or is it
> like latin (good to know some sentences to shine at tea time) ?
>
> I don't appreciate tea too much...

Ada is not a special-purpose language that can only do serial port
communications. You will benefit from learning Ada for any kind of
programming. Multi-tasking, database interfaces, networking, graphical
interfaces, embedded progamming, etc; Ada supports them all.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Samuel Tardieu on

Stephane> I am learning Ada and I find it quite funny that this serial
Stephane> stuff happens as COM ports are no more available on the
Stephane> machines...

I use serial ports on a daily basis through USB to serial interfaces
on my desktop machine and my laptop. Many embedded systems still use
RS232 for communication. And the way to configure those serial USB
ports is similar to the way to configure vanilla serial ports.

However, if you're trying to learn Ada, using the serial port is
probably not the best way to dig into the language :)

Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam(a)rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/