From: J G Miller on

This is the GNOME Display Manager gdm 2.30 from the Ubuntu package
gdm version 2.30.0-0ubuntu

First of all the binary does not appear to support its standard
command line flags.

Usage:
gdm-binary [OPTION...] GNOME Display Manager

Help Options:
-h, --help Show help options

Application Options:
--fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal
--timed-exit Exit after a time - for debugging
--version Print GDM version

Executing gdm-binary results not in the version being printed but the
display manager starting up.

And now for the important question I wish to pose.

In previous versions of gdm prior to 2.30, it was possible in the
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf file to specify that the display manager was not
to start a local X11 server by setting the number of servers to 0.

Is this no longer possible in the custom.conf because I see nothing
in the documentation at

<http://library.gnome.ORG/admin/gdm/stable/configuration.html.en>

which mentions a parameter which to do that?

Is this another case of GNOME dumbing down and oversimplification
and removal of working functionality?
From: J G Miller on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:17:20 +0000, J G Miller wrote:

> Executing gdm-binary results not in the version being printed but the
> display manager starting up.

That should have been

Executing gdm-binary with the --version parameter as in

# gdm-binary --version