From: Bambilicious on
Hey all.

I was wondering if there are any GPO plugins to control msn messenger.
The reason for this is that we are about to allow people to use MSN
Messenger, but i would still like some control over it.

We have blocked for file transfer, but i would also like to block for links
in the chat window (this can be done under the security setting)

So i was wondering if there was any GPO Plugin so i could control these
settings using the group policy.
From: Jonathan Kay [MVP] on
Greetings,

Well a lot of the settings as per passport account, so you can't directly change them which
is part of the reason why there hasn't been any sort of GPOs since Messenger 4.x.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

From: Bambilicious on
Hey Joanthan.

Sad news i must say, i was hoping there was some way i could control the
issue about weblinks in the chat window.

So what i did was look around in the regkeys for msn and i found
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\
User specific number\UserSecurityFlags

There are a lot of numbers in there, but also 0, do you know if its possible
to overwrite user specific things, with a regkey?

Or do you have any idea what other companies are doing with MSN messenger,
we cant deny that a lot of unwanted stuff is spread using MSN, with
filesharing and links in the chat.