From: Paul on
Hi,
I'm trying to work my way through the GTKADA tutorial examples and
have some questions about the preferred installation of GNAT and
GTKADA. I'm using Windows XP (sorry :o)), GNAT GPL 2009, GTKADA GPL
2.14.0 and GPS GPL 4.3.2. All of these from the Libre site.

There was an interesting discussion back in September regarding runtime
errors and the pango.aliases file which was useful. I had the same
problem but while sorting that out I discovered that the GNAT
installation and GTKADA installations have similar, but slightly
different, directory structures. This resulted in me having two
different copies of the pango.aliases file. Naturally I updated the
wrong file and was rewarded by exactly the same error! Perhaps there
is a PATH problem I need to fix. I also noticed that some of the
duplicated files have different date/time stamps which is disturbing.

So my question is should I be installing GTKADA "on top" of GNAT so
that the duplicated directories overlap? The installation process
doesn't imply that this is a useful thing to do.

Rgds

Paul

From: rickduley on
Hi Paul

Go to http://adasafehouse.webs.com/GtkAda.html and follow the link
'Solutions' to GettingGtkAdaGoing.pdf
Working in XP, I would also join the GNAT Academic Program and get
their executables. With the GPS IDE and the GAP Executables and
GettingGtkAdaGoing.pdf your problems should disappear.
Rick Duley
North Perth,
Western Australia
http://rickduley.webs.com
.-_|\
/ \
perth *_.-._/
aussie : 0409 106 049
o'seas : +61 409 106 049
"There are two ways of constructing a
software design: One way is to make it so
simple that there are obviously no
deficiencies, and the other way is to make
it so complicated that there are no obvious
deficiencies.

The first method is far more difficult."
(C.A.R Hoare)
From: Paul on
rickduley wrote:

> Hi Paul
>
> Go to http://adasafehouse.webs.com/GtkAda.html and follow the link
> 'Solutions' to GettingGtkAdaGoing.pdf
> Working in XP, I would also join the GNAT Academic Program and get
> their executables. With the GPS IDE and the GAP Executables and
> GettingGtkAdaGoing.pdf your problems should disappear.
> Rick Duley
> North Perth,
> Western Australia
> http://rickduley.webs.com
> .-_|\
> / \
> perth *_.-._/
> aussie : 0409 106 049
> o'seas : +61 409 106 049
> "There are two ways of constructing a
> software design: One way is to make it so
> simple that there are obviously no
> deficiencies, and the other way is to make
> it so complicated that there are no obvious
> deficiencies.
>
> The first method is far more difficult."
> (C.A.R Hoare)

Thanks Rick, I'll do that. I'm puzzled why this site didn't come in a
Google search for GTKADA or rather I should say I didn't see it in the
first few pages returned. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Cheers
Paul
.-_|\
/ \
\_.-._* Canberra

(a minor plagiarism of your map above :o) )

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 06:56:30 GMT, Paul wrote:

> So my question is should I be installing GTKADA "on top" of GNAT so
> that the duplicated directories overlap? The installation process
> doesn't imply that this is a useful thing to do.

Directories are duplicated intentionally. On Windows GNAT GPS comes with a
version of GtkAda + Gtk it needs to work. GtkAda is a distribution of its
own, with some version of Gtk, not necessarily same. You can also install a
newer version of Gtk (Glib, Pango etc) from some third source. If you also
installed GIMP that would be a fourth Gtk on your computer.

It is up to you to make them co-existing. Usually I overwrite GtkAda's lib
with newer versions (2.14.6 or so) and put GIMP's bin before GNAT and
GtkAda in the PATH.

P.S. I would not care about tutorial examples, because in my view they
aren't much useful.

I would rather suggest:

1. In order to understand how Gtk works:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk-tutorial/stable

2. For advanced, swampy, nasty Gtk issues:

http://scentric.net/tutorial/treeview-tutorial.html
http://www.gnome.org/~federico/misc/gtk-drawing-model/index.html

3. Last, but not least, the excellent GtkAda reference manual

http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gtkada-docs/gtkada_rm/gtkada_rm/index.html

P.P.S. It would be nice if somebody took care of packaging GtkAda under
Windows, because this is an issue faced by every new user of GtkAda.
AdaCore seems to update GtkAda once per year, which is a too slow pace
compared with the heartbeat of Gtk.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Paul on
Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 06:56:30 GMT, Paul wrote:
>
> > So my question is should I be installing GTKADA "on top" of GNAT so
> > that the duplicated directories overlap? The installation process
> > doesn't imply that this is a useful thing to do.
>
> Directories are duplicated intentionally. On Windows GNAT GPS comes
> with a version of GtkAda + Gtk it needs to work. GtkAda is a
> distribution of its own, with some version of Gtk, not necessarily
> same. You can also install a newer version of Gtk (Glib, Pango etc)
> from some third source. If you also installed GIMP that would be a
> fourth Gtk on your computer.
>
> It is up to you to make them co-existing. Usually I overwrite
> GtkAda's lib with newer versions (2.14.6 or so) and put GIMP's bin
> before GNAT and GtkAda in the PATH.
>
> P.S. I would not care about tutorial examples, because in my view they
> aren't much useful.
>
> I would rather suggest:
>
> 1. In order to understand how Gtk works:
>
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk-tutorial/stable
>
> 2. For advanced, swampy, nasty Gtk issues:
>
> http://scentric.net/tutorial/treeview-tutorial.html
> http://www.gnome.org/~federico/misc/gtk-drawing-model/index.html
>
> 3. Last, but not least, the excellent GtkAda reference manual
>
> http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gtkada-docs/gtkada
> _rm/gtkada_rm/index.html
>
> P.P.S. It would be nice if somebody took care of packaging GtkAda
> under Windows, because this is an issue faced by every new user of
> GtkAda. AdaCore seems to update GtkAda once per year, which is a too
> slow pace compared with the heartbeat of Gtk.

Thanks Dmitry

Rgds Paul