From: dpb on
user1 wrote:
> dpb wrote:
>> And, given what I just seemingly learned re: the VB.NET dialect, I'd
>> change my earlier recommendation to follow one of the above or even,
>> perhaps, the Tcl/Tk or similar route instead of VB.NET.
>>

> Otoh, perhaps you are dumping on VB.NET excessively. The row-major
> storage would be no worse a problem than a C/C++ programmer might
> encounter when trying to call Fortran numerical routines from something
> like lapack, slatec, etc. Some reordering of arrays is needed on one
> side or the other.

Perhaps, was a little disconcerted to discover that "feature" of the
revised VB so perhaps was stronger than mayhaps warranted. I did put in
the caveat about the consistency w/ other languages MS supports in the
other response though, so didn't think it worth repeating here.

Granted that's an issue w/ C code but it was _so_ handy w/ VB to not
have to deal w/ it that it seems a real shame there is no longer such a
facility at all that I'm aware of in any compiled language (ie, the
development environment w/ the ease of use features and consistent data
ordering w/ Fortran).

From: Gary L. Scott on
On 3/10/2010 7:17 AM, user1 wrote:
> dpb wrote:
>> Mike Prager wrote:

>>> I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that libraries are available
>>> that will let you write the GUI in Fortran, perhaps at a higher level
>>> that what using the compiler alone.
>>>
>>> The commercial offerings I know of are GINO and Winteracter:
>>>
>>> http://www.gino-graphics.com/
>>>
>>> http://www.winteracter.com/
>>>
>>> I have used GINO to do graphics and write GUIs; I believe you can buy
>>> a subset of the product if you just want to write a GUI.
>>>
>>> A less expensive option (180 USD for PC) is DISLIN. From the examples
>>> on the home page, the current version would let you write a GUI.
>>> http://www.dislin.de/
>>>
>>> Using any of the above would let you avoid mixed-language programming.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> And, given what I just seemingly learned re: the VB.NET dialect, I'd
>> change my earlier recommendation to follow one of the above or even,
>> perhaps, the Tcl/Tk or similar route instead of VB.NET.
>>

> Otoh, perhaps you are dumping on VB.NET excessively. The row-major
> storage would be no worse a problem than a C/C++ programmer might
> encounter when trying to call Fortran numerical routines from something
> like lapack, slatec, etc. Some reordering of arrays is needed on one
> side or the other.
>
> An all Fortran solution is nice, but maybe the guy working on the GUI is
> not a Fortran guy.

But GUIs are extremely easy with GINO. I've only played with
Winteracter sporadically and it didn't appear much more difficult. I
think they compare favorably with other methods.

From: aerogeek on
On Mar 10, 6:03 am, Mike Prager <mpra...(a)3.14.alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 23:29:36 -0800 (PST), Abbas Fakhari
>
> <abbas.f2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >I want to generate a software for HVAC calculations in buildings (I am
> >a Mechanical Engineer). So, I decided to have somebody write the GUI
> >part with Visual  Basic and me, myself, write the computational and
> >mathematical parts using Fortran.
>
> >Would you please help me with this! I want to know whether this is a
> >good job or it is better to write both GUI and computational parts
> >with Visual Fortran (as you know, GUI also can be written by Fortran).
>
> I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that libraries are available
> that will let you write the GUI in Fortran, perhaps at a higher level
> that what using the compiler alone.
>
> The commercial offerings I know of are GINO and Winteracter:
>
> http://www.gino-graphics.com/
>
> http://www.winteracter.com/
>
> I have used GINO to do graphics and write GUIs; I believe you can buy
> a subset of the product if you just want to write a GUI.
>
> A less expensive option (180 USD for PC) is DISLIN. From the examples
> on the home page, the current version would let you write a GUI.
>
> http://www.dislin.de/
>
> Using any of the above would let you avoid mixed-language programming.
>
> Hope that helps.

I thought DISLIN was most realted to producing different types of
graphs!!