From: Alex Barna on
On Aug 10, 10:05 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro > Can’t understand the point
to it. “GUI automation” is a contradiction in
> terms, because a GUI is designed for use by humans to do manual tasks, not
> ones that can be automated.

Automating GUI is for testing.
From: News123 on
On 08/10/2010 12:25 PM, Alex Barna wrote:
> On Aug 10, 10:05 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro > Can�t understand the point
> to it. �GUI automation� is a contradiction in
>> terms, because a GUI is designed for use by humans to do manual tasks, not
>> ones that can be automated.
>
> Automating GUI is for testing.
And sometimesfor working around SW, whch has no cli or other interface
and should be automated

From: Martin P. Hellwig on
On 08/10/10 20:13, News123 wrote:
> On 08/10/2010 12:25 PM, Alex Barna wrote:
>> On Aug 10, 10:05 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro> Can�t understand the point
>> to it. �GUI automation� is a contradiction in
>>> terms, because a GUI is designed for use by humans to do manual tasks, not
>>> ones that can be automated.
>>
>> Automating GUI is for testing.
> And sometimesfor working around SW, whch has no cli or other interface
> and should be automated

That and when you are forced using a gui and need to 'copy and paste'
between two programs that have no native bridge except for the one that
is between the keyboard and chair, then it is nice to know that there is
a way of automating it.

--
mph
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message
<abe9b308-db83-4ca8-a71a-12d2025a7615(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, Alex
Barna wrote:

> On Aug 10, 10:05 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>
>> Can't understand the point to it. “GUI automation” is a contradiction in
>> terms, because a GUI is designed for use by humans to do manual tasks,
>> not ones that can be automated.
>
> Automating GUI is for testing.

But the most egregious GUI problems are going to be with humans being unable
to figure out how to do something, am I right? How are you going to uncover
those problems, except by testing with real people? Automated testing isn't
going to do it.
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <4c61a4f5$0$5804$426a34cc(a)news.free.fr>, News123 wrote:

> On 08/10/2010 12:25 PM, Alex Barna wrote:
>
>> On Aug 10, 10:05 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>>
>>> Can't understand the point to it. “GUI automation” is a contradiction in
>>> terms, because a GUI is designed for use by humans to do manual tasks,
>>> not ones that can be automated.
>>
>> Automating GUI is for testing.
>
> And sometimesfor working around SW, whch has no cli or other interface
> and should be automated

Who would design software in such a brain-dead way?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Decorators without function
Next: Circular imports (again)