From: Kevin Walzer on
On 6/18/10 6:16 PM, Jeff Hobbs wrote:

>> Is there a good web-site / tutorial / book / etc that you would
>> recommend for getting a good handle on Tk 8.5?
>
> Most of the Tk 8.5 references will be Tcl-based, but one that is cross-
> language is Mark Roseman's www.tkdocs.com.
>
> For books, there is John Ousterhout's main book, now in the 2nd
> edition, updated with Tcl/Tk 8.5 references:
> http://www.amazon.com/Tcl-Toolkit-2nd-John-Ousterhout/dp/032133633X
>
> To understand just the changes in Tk 8.5, you can see the wiki page
> that lists references for all changes:
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/10630
>
> It includes 16 new widgets (many themed versions of classic widgets,
> but key new ones like the combobox and notebook), new canvas and text
> features, and more. The wiki in general has lots of how-to reference
> info (over 20K pages of content).
>
> The key with Tk that I've seen misunderstood in this thread is that it
> has lots of extensions. Those in the core community do argue about
> whether "important" widgets should be full core or kept as widgets
> (where they get their own dev cycle). There are some fantastic Tk
> widgets out there, like tktreectrl (http://
> tktreectrl.sourceforge.net/), tktable, many in tklib (e.g. tablelist
> http://www.nemethi.de/tablelist/tablelist.html), and more. They can
> be used with any of the languages that integrate with Tk, but may not
> have "built-in" support (IOW, you might need some language-specific
> shim). Overcoming these hurdles may help reduce the pain and glum
> feelings people have towards Tk bound to non-Tcl languages (and is
> indeed one of the points addressed by Tkx). It doesn't help with doc
> translation (for use with other languages), so that's yet another
> hurdle. :-/
>
> Jeff

To see the new ttk widgets at work in Tkinter, look at the next
generation of the venerable app PySol, PySolFC, at
http://pysolfc.sourceforge.net. Here are screenshots of (I think) the
Windows versions:

http://pysolfc.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

And the Mac version:

http://mac.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/PySolFC-Screenshot-24708.html

Here's a screenshot from one of my own Tkinter applications that makes
use of ttk widgets and also such Tk extension packages as BWidgets (the
treeview) and tablelist (the table view):

http://www.codebykevin.com/phynchronicity-running.png

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
From: est on

> Having said all that, I would like to eliminate some of the
> depedencie. At some point I'll probably re-do the Windows
> implementation using ctypes, because pywin32/mfc is hindering
> more than helping in some areas. I'm also thinking about ways
> to interface directly with Cocoa without going through pyobjc.
> But all that is some way off in the future after I get the API
> nailed down more.
>
> --
> Greg

that would be awesome!
From: Matt on
On 06/17/2010 08:50 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-06-16, Matt <matt(a)themattfella.xxxyyz.com> wrote:
>> On 06/05/2010 09:22 PM, ant wrote:
>>
>>> PyQt is tied to one platform.
>>
>> Several posters have asked for support for or clarification of this
>> claim of yours.
>
> Let me guess...
>
> The one platform it's tied to is Qt?

good answer