From: undisclosed on

What's the model number of the notebook/motherboard? I haven't seen this
problem yet, but definitely want to investigate it as much as possible.
If you've experienced it, you're probably not the only one. Tell me
everything you can about the events that led up to this failure.

--
rob001
From: BillW50 on
In news:567f2383a4216462b760ccd12ce1c589(a)nntp-gateway.com,
undisclosed rob typed on Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:25:23 -0700:
> What's the model number of the notebook/motherboard? I haven't seen
> this problem yet, but definitely want to investigate it as much as
> possible. If you've experienced it, you're probably not the only one.
> Tell me everything you can about the events that led up to this
> failure.

I have three MX6124 laptops. Two I bought used on eBay. One of them was
very clean inside and out. The guy said the keyboard stopped working
while he was on vacation. Great so II bought it.

It looked like it just came out of the box. No scratches, no marks, no
dust inside or anything. Popped the keyboard out and the clip for the
ribbon cable socket for the keyboard was missing. Say do you have an
extra clip, as I am short one now.

It worked great except BattStat reported the CPU was running colder than
the other two MX6124 and even my M465e. Even playing heavy CPU intensive
games it still would run cool. I ran the games on this machine for about
6 weeks and it started to crash now and then. Then about two more days
of crashing occasionally, it refused to boot completely without popping
up the blue screen of death.

Swapped out the hard drive and RAM, no help. Swapped out the CPU and the
problem followed the CPU. Great, bad CPU. Although the other CPU (same
type) is also reading the temp just as low only in this machine.

So I don't use it much anymore because I don't want to cook this CPU
like I did the other one. Good thing used single code Celeron CPUs are
cheap. The northbridge is probably taking a hit as well and that one is
soldered in. So I'll be out of luck if that one ever cooks.

So that is pretty much the whole story. I assume Battstat reads the
sensor within the CPU. But that is only a guess on my part. Maybe there
is a sensor somewhere else.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: undisclosed on

I would probably solder your fan to a 5V rail - that would be the best
option. I usually do that with notebooks that run notoriously hot.
As far as the keyboard connector, I'd have to see it. Sometimes I can
pull them off of salvage boards. Sometimes I use cut plastic to use as a
substitute, then secure it with two drops of high temp glue. I see that
a lot with the Sony notebooks.
If you have other specific questions, feel free to email me at contact
at precisiondivision

--
rob001
From: the wharf rat on
In article <hqiki8$v57$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>It worked great except BattStat reported the CPU was running colder than
>the other two MX6124 and even my M465e. Even playing heavy CPU intensive
>games it still would run cool. I ran the games on this machine for about
>6 weeks and it started to crash now and then. Then about two more days
>of crashing occasionally, it refused to boot completely without popping
>up the blue screen of death.

Tried updating the bios? Hardware monitoring issues are usually
bios related rather than hardware. Because even if the sensor is borked
you can work around the bugs in firmware.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hqvibf$m8$1(a)reader1.panix.com,
the wharf rat typed on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:55:27 +0000 (UTC):
> In article <hqiki8$v57$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>> It worked great except BattStat reported the CPU was running colder
>> than the other two MX6124 and even my M465e. Even playing heavy CPU
>> intensive games it still would run cool. I ran the games on this
>> machine for about 6 weeks and it started to crash now and then. Then
>> about two more days of crashing occasionally, it refused to boot
>> completely without popping up the blue screen of death.
>
> Tried updating the bios? Hardware monitoring issues are usually
> bios related rather than hardware. Because even if the sensor is
> borked you can work around the bugs in firmware.

Yes I have been there before. As there is a BIOS update, but it warns to
only use if you are installing Vista. And some BIOS flash programs won't
allow you to downgrade, so I have to be careful here. And all three of
my Gateway MX6124 all have the same Phoenix Bios v70.02. And only one of
them reads the CPU temp low.

Idle CPU 122�F (should be about 132�F)
Max CPU 134�F (should be around 168�F to 180�F)

I was considering saving the BIOS from one of the others to a file and
then reflashing the questionable BIOS. It might be worth a shot anyway.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3