From: Robert Klemme on
Hi there,

apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
slow). I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago. Anybody with
similar experiences?

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

From: Phrogz on
On Mar 19, 6:20 am, Robert Klemme <shortcut...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
> slow).  I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago.  Anybody with
> similar experiences?

Here's a test posted to Google groups at 07:26 MST.
From: James Edward Gray II on
On Mar 19, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:

> apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
> slow). I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago. Anybody with
> similar experiences?

Can you point me at the post you are referring to on the newsgroup side so I can look it up and see what happened to it? Thanks.

James Edward Gray II
From: Robert Klemme on
2010/3/19 James Edward Gray II <james(a)graysoftinc.com>:
> On Mar 19, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:
>
>> apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
>> slow).  I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago.  Anybody with
>> similar experiences?
>
> Can you point me at the post you are referring to on the newsgroup side so I can look it up and see what happened to it?  Thanks.

http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/1030ad4858886ddf/af74b26045f69573

My first posting - I don't see it on the mailing list.

Thanks for offering support!

Kind regards

From: James Edward Gray II on
On Mar 19, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:

> 2010/3/19 James Edward Gray II <james(a)graysoftinc.com>:
>> On Mar 19, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:
>>
>>> apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
>>> slow). I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago. Anybody with
>>> similar experiences?
>>
>> Can you point me at the post you are referring to on the newsgroup side so I can look it up and see what happened to it? Thanks.
>
> http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/1030ad4858886ddf/af74b26045f69573
>
> My first posting - I don't see it on the mailing list.

Fred, we hare having trouble getting Usenet postings from your server. The issue comes when I try to skip forward to a recent article, using this code in the gateway:

# switch to the last message we sent (or the first real message before that)
begin
Timeout.timeout(30) do
nntp.stat(last_id_sent)
end
rescue Timeout::Error
log.error "The NNTP message shift timed out."
exit
rescue
if $!.message.include?("Bad article number") and last_id_sent.nonzero?
last_id_sent -= 1
retry
else
log.fatal "Unable to switch to the last message: #{$!.message}"
exit -1
end
end

The server appears to be denying all of my stat() calls as last_id_sent just keeps counting down:

# ruby /var/ruby_talk_gateway/bin/news_to_mail.rb /var/log/gateway_news_to_mail.log
263164
263163
263162
263161