From: benn on
I need to tweak the assembly file that the c compiler generates, but
it goes straight to an exe. Is there a way to view and modify the
assembly file before it go the assembler?

Thanks!
From: Dave Nadler on
On Apr 30, 7:10 pm, benn <benn...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I need to tweak the assembly file that the c compiler generates, but
> it goes straight to an exe.   Is there a way to view and modify the
> assembly file before it go the assembler?
>
> Thanks!

Use -S option (capitalization significant)...

But you shouldn't need to "tweak"; use inline asm...

From: Tim Wescott on
benn wrote:
> I need to tweak the assembly file that the c compiler generates, but
> it goes straight to an exe. Is there a way to view and modify the
> assembly file before it go the assembler?

That sounds scary-dangerous. At least if you're establishing a build
procedure where you compile, then tweak, then assemble, then declare
victory.

Having source code that's also a build product is kind of like standing
on a hilltop in a thunderstorm, giving the finger to the sky. It looks
pretty damned impressive if you can get away with it, but the
consequences can be severe.

Do you mean you want to inspect the assembly to make sure that the
inline assembly statements you're using do the right thing, or that your
C code is generating the intended behavior, or so you have a nice
template to use for an all-assembly, really-o, truly-o source file?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker on
benn wrote:
> I need to tweak the assembly file that the c compiler generates, but
> it goes straight to an exe.

It does that only for those who strictly can't be bothered to RTFM to
find out how to control their tools properly. Mixing that attitude with
what (you think) you need to do is a recipe for highly probable disaster.

I strongly suggest you calm down, sit back, and re-analyze what you
really need to do. No matter what your actual problem is, post-patching
compiler output is pretty much guaranteed to be the wrong approach to
solving it.
From: vladitx on
On May 1, 3:59 pm, Hans-Bernhard Bröker <HBBroe...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> benn wrote:
> > I need to tweak the assembly file that the c compiler generates, but
> > it goes straight to an exe.
>
> It does that only for those who strictly can't be bothered to RTFM to
> find out how to control their tools properly.  Mixing that attitude with
> what (you think) you need to do is a recipe for highly probable disaster.
>
> I strongly suggest you calm down, sit back, and re-analyze what you
> really need to do.  No matter what your actual problem is, post-patching
> compiler output is pretty much guaranteed to be the wrong approach to
> solving it.

Hans-Bernhard's analysis is of course very true.

As an interesting exception, I should mention that about 15 years ago
I came up with a very effective solution for large x86 16-bit ROM-able
code based on post-processing of compiler output - of course,
automated, and tied to a certain compiler. What this approach made
possible, together with the excellent optimising 'C' compiler,
achieved results I couldn't get with any other tool at the time.

The OP is still on the wrong track, though.