From: gretzteam on
Hi,
Say I use a 16-bit LFSR set up to generate a maximum length pseudo-random
sequence. According to property (3) here:

'The modulo-2 sum of an m-sequence and another phase of the same sequence
yields yet a third phase of the sequence'.

Does this mean that I can generate say 4 different phase of the sequence,
concatenate them, and this becomes a 4-bit wide pseudo random sequence? Are
there any rules to follow about the phase difference of each sequence?

Thanks!
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

gretzteam wrote:
> Hi,
> Say I use a 16-bit LFSR set up to generate a maximum length pseudo-random
> sequence. According to property (3) here:
>
> 'The modulo-2 sum of an m-sequence and another phase of the same sequence
> yields yet a third phase of the sequence'.
>
> Does this mean that I can generate say 4 different phase of the sequence,
> concatenate them, and this becomes a 4-bit wide pseudo random sequence?

Do you mean M-sequence in GF(2^4) ? Then not.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: gretzteam on
>gretzteam wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Say I use a 16-bit LFSR set up to generate a maximum length
pseudo-random
>> sequence. According to property (3) here:
>>
>> 'The modulo-2 sum of an m-sequence and another phase of the same
sequence
>> yields yet a third phase of the sequence'.
>>
>> Does this mean that I can generate say 4 different phase of the
sequence,
>> concatenate them, and this becomes a 4-bit wide pseudo random sequence?
>
>Do you mean M-sequence in GF(2^4) ? Then not.

So what is the length of the new sequence? Does it depends on the chosen
phase of the original m-sequence?

Ask another way, how does one generate a 4-bit wide random sequence of
length M?

Thanks
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
gretzteam <gretzteam(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com> wrote:

> Say I use a 16-bit LFSR set up to generate a maximum length pseudo-random
> sequence. According to property (3) here:

> 'The modulo-2 sum of an m-sequence and another phase of the same sequence
> yields yet a third phase of the sequence'.

> Does this mean that I can generate say 4 different phase of the sequence,
> concatenate them, and this becomes a 4-bit wide pseudo random sequence? Are
> there any rules to follow about the phase difference of each sequence?

As you don't say what you want to use the results for, it is
hard to say.

To start, 16 bits is a little short for many uses, but maybe
enough for some. Likely not enough for cryptographic applications,
but maybe enough for a simulated dice game. Using phases the way
you suggest will result in some possible correlations in the
sequences, as will using four bits of the LFSR itself.

Better would be four LFSR with mutually relatively prime periods,
but it might be that you don't need that much randomness.

Though four phases of a 64 bit generator is probably about
as good as four different 16 bit generators.

-- glen

From: gretzteam on
>As you don't say what you want to use the results for, it is
>hard to say.
>
>To start, 16 bits is a little short for many uses, but maybe
>enough for some. Likely not enough for cryptographic applications,
>but maybe enough for a simulated dice game. Using phases the way
>you suggest will result in some possible correlations in the
>sequences, as will using four bits of the LFSR itself.
>
>Better would be four LFSR with mutually relatively prime periods,
>but it might be that you don't need that much randomness.
>
>Though four phases of a 64 bit generator is probably about
>as good as four different 16 bit generators.
>
>-- glen

Ok I see what you mean...my application is far from cryptography! I'm
trying to dither the phase of a DDS. The NCO is 24 bits, and gets quantized
to 10 bits going in the ROM. From my simulations, I need about 4 bits of
dither to make the spurs go away.

Thanks.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2