From: Jon on
I dug down and just ran into a bunch of rocks. I know when I fill the hole
I'm not puting any more rocks back. Eventually I found the line break. Now
I need to splice together two 2/O wires. I need a splice connector. I
might try the local electrical supply places and see.

Once I get it fixed there will be three 2/O lines for regular power and
three #10 AWG for the generator to the barn. My transfer circuit,
http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html, will be a reminder to turn off
the service disconnect, since the generator won't connect unless it's off.

I'm thinking of waterproofing the splice with electrical tape, silicon and
liquid nails.

From: D Yuniskis on
Jon wrote:
> I dug down and just ran into a bunch of rocks. I know when I fill the
> hole I'm not puting any more rocks back. Eventually I found the line

Code usually requires the trench be "shaded". Your codebook
can tell you how given the service requirements.

> break. Now I need to splice together two 2/O wires. I need a splice
> connector. I might try the local electrical supply places and see.
>
> Once I get it fixed there will be three 2/O lines for regular power and
> three #10 AWG for the generator to the barn. My transfer circuit,
> http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html, will be a reminder to turn
> off the service disconnect, since the generator won't connect unless
> it's off.
>
> I'm thinking of waterproofing the splice with electrical tape, silicon
> and liquid nails.

Read your codebook.
From: Martin Riddle on

"D Yuniskis" <not.going.to.be(a)seen.com> wrote in message
> Jon wrote:
>> I dug down and just ran into a bunch of rocks. I know when I fill
>> the hole I'm not puting any more rocks back. Eventually I found the
>> line
>
> Code usually requires the trench be "shaded". Your codebook
> can tell you how given the service requirements.
>
>> break. Now I need to splice together two 2/O wires. I need a splice
>> connector. I might try the local electrical supply places and see.
>>
>> Once I get it fixed there will be three 2/O lines for regular power
>> and three #10 AWG for the generator to the barn. My transfer
>> circuit, http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html, will be a
>> reminder to turn off the service disconnect, since the generator
>> won't connect unless it's off.
>>
>> I'm thinking of waterproofing the splice with electrical tape,
>> silicon and liquid nails.
>
> Read your codebook.

<http://www.amazon.com/National-Electrical-Code-Protection-Association/dp/0877657904/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278899252&sr=8-1>

Cheers

From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <s8adnfSD-q4v-afRnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
"Jon" <jon8338(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:

> I dug down and just ran into a bunch of rocks. I know when I fill the hole
> I'm not puting any more rocks back. Eventually I found the line break. Now
> I need to splice together two 2/O wires. I need a splice connector. I
> might try the local electrical supply places and see.
>
> Once I get it fixed there will be three 2/O lines for regular power and
> three #10 AWG for the generator to the barn. My transfer circuit,
> http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html, will be a reminder to turn off
> the service disconnect, since the generator won't connect unless it's off.
>
> I'm thinking of waterproofing the splice with electrical tape, silicon and
> liquid nails.

Silicone doesn't adhere to electrical insulation or damp copper. I'm
pretty sure Liquid Nails conducts electricity in the presence of
moisture.

Better put a good fence. Dead pets and dead children on your property
might attract attention to your electrical code violations.
From: John Ferrell on
When installing a submersible water pump it is neccessary to splice
the 240 volt connection where it will be submerged. There are
inexpensive kits for the job sold at the home improvement store where
the pumps are sold. The question becomes "are they big enough for the
purpose".

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 20:41:21 -0400, "Jon" <jon8338(a)peoplepc.com>
wrote:

>I dug down and just ran into a bunch of rocks. I know when I fill the hole
>I'm not puting any more rocks back. Eventually I found the line break. Now
>I need to splice together two 2/O wires. I need a splice connector. I
>might try the local electrical supply places and see.
>
>Once I get it fixed there will be three 2/O lines for regular power and
>three #10 AWG for the generator to the barn. My transfer circuit,
>http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html, will be a reminder to turn off
>the service disconnect, since the generator won't connect unless it's off.
>
>I'm thinking of waterproofing the splice with electrical tape, silicon and
>liquid nails.

John Ferrell W8CCW