From: juandiego on
On 2 Sep, 17:55, Bill Dubuque <w...(a)nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> juandiego <sttscitr...(a)tesco.net> wrote:

> >> No. First let's recall what I actually wrote, not the
> >> greatly condensed 3-line version that you quoted above.

> >> The gist of my remark above was to dispute your claim that
> >> the proof "would not go through if there were units > 1".
> >> As I've pointed out, Euclid's proof can be generalized to
> >> infinite fewunits rings (rings with fewer units than elts).
>
> > The basis of Euclid's  original proof sems to be that
> > given any finite set of primes, the product of these primes +1
> > gives a number which is divisible by a prime not in the original set.
>
> > If r = sqrt(2), then Z(r) has UFT
>
> > r is a prime, NORM =2
> > -29 -21r is a prime or associated prime, norm =  -41
>
> > w+1 = r(-29 -21r )+1  = -41 -29r = unit
>
> > So given r, -29-21r, a finite set of primes from Euclid's
> > approach I cannot always conculde that there is an "extra" prime.
> > So in general, Euclids approach does not work.
>
> > How does what you say about fewunit rings apply to
> > "infinite" unit rings? If it doesn't, why is my claim wrong ?
>
> That ring has as many units as elts so its not a fewunit ring.
> The fewunits proof works for infinite rings with fewer units
> than elts, i.e. smaller cardinality.

Then why do you say "... In general 1 + pqr... can fail to
produce a new prime (or irreducible) because it may be a unit...".

See your full quote from [2] below.

"Thus generalizing Euclid's theorem to other rings will require
some hypotheses other than Euclidean, PID, UFD, etc, that are
preserved by localizations. In general 1 + pqr... can fail to
produce a new prime (or irreducible) because it may be a unit.
But we can also try 1 + d pqr... for any d in D. If all those
are units then D has a lot of units. Therefore we can eliminate
such failure by hypothesizing D has relatively few units, ""

We were only discussing that method

From: juandiego on
On 3 Sep, 02:38, Bill Dubuque <w...(a)nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> juandiego <sttscitr...(a)tesco.net> wrote:
> >Bill Dubuque <w...(a)nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> >> That ring has as many units as elts so its not a fewunit ring.
> >> The fewunits proof works for infinite rings with fewer units
> >> than elts, i.e. smaller cardinality.
>
> > Then why do you say "... In general  1 + pqr... can fail to
> > produce a new prime (or irreducible) because it may be a unit...".
>
> Because generally that's the obstruction to the Euclidean proof.

Yes, if you use nothing but the original construction in some other
infinite ring
and you can't exclude the possibility that if w+1 is a
unit then the proof does not go through.

> The fewunits hypothesis is one way of avoiding that obstruction.

If there wasn't an obstruction, you wouln;t need the generalization.
Euclid's proof would go through in its original form.

What is the obstruction you are referring to ?
..

> Specializing to Z (or any infinite UFD as in the theorem below)
> we see that the obstruction to this fewunits generalization of
> the Euclidean proof occurs only when there are infinitely many
> units -- not, as you claim, when there are units > 1. Even if
> Z had finitely many units>1 the fewunits proof would still work.

Presumably, you have to use the few units generalization
because the original Euclidean method does not work
as originally formulated. I never said that
the generalization of Euclid's proof wouldn't work.