From: J on
Is there any way to tell PyDev in Eclipse to run a script that doesn't
end in .py? Even if I have to go and manually set something for each
file...

I've inherited (in a manner of speaking) a dev project that is done in
python2.6... I pulled the latest dev branch and have it opened as a
project in Eclipse, however, none of the python files end in .py, so
PyDev only sees them as text files. And because of that, I can't run
them in Eclipse to try my changes, debug, etc.

So, is there a way to make them show up as python code without the .py
extension? Because of this, I also don't get any of the fancy
indenting and highlighting that I'd normally get...

Cheers,

Jeff
From: Martin P. Hellwig on
On 03/31/10 22:37, J wrote:
> Is there any way to tell PyDev in Eclipse to run a script that doesn't
> end in .py? Even if I have to go and manually set something for each
> file...
>
> I've inherited (in a manner of speaking) a dev project that is done in
> python2.6... I pulled the latest dev branch and have it opened as a
> project in Eclipse, however, none of the python files end in .py, so
> PyDev only sees them as text files. And because of that, I can't run
> them in Eclipse to try my changes, debug, etc.
>
> So, is there a way to make them show up as python code without the .py
> extension? Because of this, I also don't get any of the fancy
> indenting and highlighting that I'd normally get...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

You probably need to do that one level higher, i.e. in Eclipse (hint:
Preferences>General>Editors>File Associations <don't forget to also add
a 'Associated editors' for your new defined file type>).

I do have a couple of remarks though.

It sounds to me like you inherited something of more or less a 'shipped'
product. Perhaps it would be wise to invest some time to restructure the
project so that it works nicely with all the tools you have (unit
testing, coverage, refactoring, etc.) and build a script that from your
source builds the actually release (resembling that what you have
inherited).

<whining_mode status='on'>
This question would probably have been more suitable in
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pydev/forums/forum/293649 (that is the
PyDev forum), and it is likely that they would have sent you through to
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/ .
</whining_mode>

--
mph

From: Fabio Zadrozny on
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:37 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to tell PyDev in Eclipse to run a script that doesn't
> end in .py?  Even if I have to go and manually set something for each
> file...
>
> I've inherited (in a manner of speaking) a dev project that is done in
> python2.6... I pulled the latest dev branch and have it opened as a
> project in Eclipse, however, none of the python files end in .py, so
> PyDev only sees them as text files.  And because of that, I can't run
> them in Eclipse to try my changes, debug, etc.
>
> So, is there a way to make them show up as python code without the .py
> extension?  Because of this, I also don't get any of the fancy
> indenting and highlighting that I'd normally get...

You have to change it in 2 places:

1. window > preferences > general > editors > file associations: add
the *.extension and bind it to the Python Editor (see how the *.py
association is done).

2. window > preferences > Pydev > editor > code style > file types:
add your custom extension there (and you may want to change the
default python extension if you'll keep creating modules with that
different extension).

Cheers,

Fabio