From: crobar on
Hello,

My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a
new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second slave
drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this drive,
it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter. How
can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting it
and losing all of my data?

Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is on
the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had one,
but shows up in the bios as the secondary hard drive.

Thanks,
Richard

From: Don Phillipson on
"crobar" <crobar(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a
> new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second
slave
> drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this
drive,
> it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter.
How
> can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting
it
> and losing all of my data?
>
> Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is
on
> the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had
one,
> but shows up in the bios as the secondary hard drive.

Absence of a jumper is a standard jumper setting
meaning this is the only HDD on this IDE line -- which
may be the cause of your malfunction. Modern IDE HDDs
usually have 6 pins in three (paired) jumper positions:
Left = Master of a pair of HDD
Middle = Slave of a pair
Right = Cable Select
None = Singleton i.e. only drive on the IDE line.

If your HDD has more than three pairs of jumper
pins, consult the maker's web site for jumper data.
Put the appropriate jumper in place, reconnect
the HDD, and repost results here.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Andrew E. on
Most of the time,(by default),cable select isnt used in xp,set as slave
or master..Also,if you carefully look at the hd,the pin selection should
be on a sticker by the mfg,if not,go to the mfg web site for proper settings.
Also,if you go to run,type:diskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click on a hd,go to
actions,all,select: Make drive active Gets you a letter(this being that
the hd
are set-up properly)..