From: James Tucker on

On 3 Jan 2008, at 17:09, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Jan 3, 6:57 pm, James Tucker <jftuc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 Jan 2008, at 16:45, Bill Kelly wrote:
>>
>>> From: "Luis Lavena" <luislav...(a)gmail.com>

>>> Just to clarify... What does "bootstrapped from scratch" mean
>>> in this context?
>>
>> As low as he (we) can go. At the moment, it's in ruby (as per the
>> code
>> presented and requirements), but some of my ideas had most of the
>> stack from a .cmd file - although that may be excessive.
>>
>> js or .vb via WSH anyone?
>>

> The idea is Bootstrap Ruby with Ruby, like Rubinius guys are doing.
>
> I must admit that have extensive batch files that I use to bootstrap
> ruby with VC6 at office, but maintain .CMD and workaround its
> limitations don't worth the effort.
>
> Also, we are using Ruby for the fun of it, right? ;-)

Right, shame one can't do the whole implement Jump, branch and then
move on up thing though... ;-)

From: Nobuyoshi Nakada on
Hi,

At Fri, 4 Jan 2008 05:29:58 +0900,
Luis Lavena wrote in [ruby-talk:285910]:
> So, now the code:
>
> http://code.mmediasys.com/installer3/latest.zip
>
> This is a pure-ruby solution that download and setup a mingw+msys
> environment to get Ruby build.

Seems manifest task in ruby18.rake doesn't close the target
file, so the file may be incomplete at the end of the task.

--
Nobu Nakada

From: Luis Lavena on
On Jan 4, 12:21 am, Nobuyoshi Nakada <n...(a)ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Fri, 4 Jan 2008 05:29:58 +0900,
> Luis Lavena wrote in [ruby-talk:285910]:
>
> > So, now the code:
>
> >http://code.mmediasys.com/installer3/latest.zip
>
> > This is a pure-ruby solution that download and setup a mingw+msys
> > environment to get Ruby build.
>
> Seems manifest task in ruby18.rake doesn't close the target
> file, so the file may be incomplete at the end of the task.

Thank you Nobu, I didn't give attention to manifest since I was using
WiX Heat to collect all the files.

Change committed and pushed updated branch and zip file.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky on
Luis Lavena wrote:
[snip]

> This is a pure-ruby solution that download and setup a mingw+msys
> environment to get Ruby build.
>
> It uses some rake recipes to download all the needed packages
> At this time Ruby 1.8.6 p111 is targeted, but targeting Ruby 1.9 will
> no have mayor issues.
>
> Dependencies are not compiled, just downloaded for the time being.
> Tested all the scenarios (pre-built and compile from source) and there
> are issues with them which I reported previously.
>
> To bootstrap and use this project, you need:
> - Ruby 1.8.5 or greater
> - Rake 0.7.3 or greater
> - Tar [1] and Unzip [2] binary packages from GnuWin32

Aren't they in MSys?

[snip]

> I suggest to those who are interested, help me get this working.

This does look like fun. I have a spare Windows XP license I'm not using
and a Linux hosted VMware Workstation 6. :) Are the compiler, linker,
"tar" and zip/gzip/bzip2 the only external dependencies you have at the
moment?

From: Luis Lavena on
On 4 ene, 03:03, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn...(a)cesmail.net> wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > To bootstrap and use this project, you need:
> > - Ruby 1.8.5 or greater
> > - Rake 0.7.3 or greater
> > - Tar [1] and Unzip [2] binary packages from GnuWin32
>
> Aren't they in MSys?

Chicken-egg situation:

They are inside the compressed tar.gz and tar.bz2 files... how I'm
supposed to get them if I don't decompress them first? :-D

So: if someone have a pure-ruby (with aditional gem or extension) that
allow us extract content from:

- .zip (deflate) files
- .gz (of .tar.gz) files
- .bz2 (of .tar.bz2) files

All without these dependencies, feel free to modify rake/
extracttask :-)

> This does look like fun. I have a spare Windows XP license I'm not using
> and a Linux hosted VMware Workstation 6. :) Are the compiler, linker,
> "tar" and zip/gzip/bzip2 the only external dependencies you have at the
> moment?

You don't need to manually download MinGW or MSYS, only you need get
your hands at tar and unzip.
(also, have a working ruby, which you could use OCI for that) ;-)

The compiler, linker and dependencies are downloaded automatically.

Right now only two "dependencies" are in place:

- Zlib 1.2.3
- Readline 5.0

I stopped at readline since I got some serious issues with
Readline.readline, as posted before to this list and ruby-core.

The thing is that those worked in the past, but right know they don't.

Each time I add a dependency (to get the bundled extension built), I
do a 'test-all' procedure and see if it's passing their self-tests.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena