From: Randy Brukardt on
"Adam Beneschan" <adam(a)irvine.com> wrote in message
>Really---it was a design decision? I'm very skeptical. I think it's
>more likely that the syntax was simply inherited, ultimately from
>Ada's spiritual ancestor, Algol, while C's syntax was inherited
>from... ummm, I'm trying to think of some witty insult...

Jeff is right; Ada 80 used the "()" notation. So the fact that it doesn't
have them now was a very intentional decision. I remember this clearly
because our early versions of Janus/Ada used this syntax to make
implementing expressions easy (we didn't support full overloading early
on) -- losing the crutch was a major pain.

Randy.

From: Charmed Snark on
Anh Vo expounded in news:6683b9ad-02d6-4ee3-bf3a-
b19bc55d0f7e(a)z10g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

> On Mar 11, 11:01�am, Charmed Snark <sn...(a)cogeco.ca> wrote:
>> Anh Vo expounded in news:2801d429-d00b-46cb-955a-
>> To me, with my heretical C background, the "()" is a strong
>> reminder that a method is being "called". In C/C++, the statement
>>
>> � � �Obj.Clear;
>>
> Actually, Ada has this notation for ages specially in the tasking
> area. Here is a incomplete example.
> task type Bus_Monitor is
> entry Start;
> entry Stop;
> end Bus_Monitor;
> Bus_Mon_Obj : Bus_Monitor;

> Bus_Monitor.Start;
>
> Anh Vo

Yes, I remember that now.
From: Jeffrey R. Carter on
Warren wrote:
> Robert A Duff expounded in news:wccpr3apmox.fsf(a)shell01.TheWorld.com:
>
>> As far as I can tell, most folks seem to like this new feature.
>> The advantage is supposedly that you don't have to worry
>> about where things are declared -- if you've got the
>> object name in your hands, you can call the methods
>> without horsing around with 'with' and 'use' clauses
>> or expanded names.
>
> Yes, that was one thing that did appeal to me.

One thing I noticed about the use of the PragmAda Reusable Components is that
people like to use the protected forms, even for sequential purposes, for this
very reason.

--
Jeff Carter
"What I wouldn't give for a large sock with horse manure in it."