From: Jim Broadbent on
Hi
I have use various newsreaders which have features such as
sorting the posts, defining filters etc, but it would be a lot
easier if the headers were just in a table, then I could do
whatever I want with them. Does anyone have any
experience of this?

From: Albert D. Kallal on
Yes, I do I have experience of doing this, in fact in one evening I actually
wrote a news reader inside of access.

It was rather quite easy.

I was able to post, and then did something really cool was added a feature
to allow me to delete other people's posts.

Of course the use net and newsgroups are really built around a democracy
type of system. So for the vast majority of news servers, they ignore
message delete requests. And of course the reason why most news services
ignore the delete request is it would in theory of allow me to delete your
posts, and thus allow me a form of censorship.

And in fact most newsreaders while they offer the option to delete your own
post, there's nothing technically stopping newsreaders from having a setting
inside of them to allow deletion of other people's posts also (in other
words is not a technical limitation, only user interface limitation).

Of course the reason why that option is not exposed is again it really goes
against the whole conceptual idea and spirit of newsgroups.

Needless to say after the evening of work, I had something that worked not
bad, and furthermore I had also tested the delete feature.

Due to such high concerns about allowing this code to get out into the wild,
believe it or not, I deleted the application and threw it out, as it seem
like such a horrible idea to have an application that allowed me to send out
delete requests of other people's posts. On the other hand as a statistical
counting of people's names and posts, and also as an archiving system, I
don't know why I ever threw that code out...there is quite a few uses I can
see for this type of code.

The connection to the nntp is rather easy if you use the VB6 winsock
control. If I recall correctly, I simply dropped the winsock control into a
form, and then manipulated the events and the connection to NNTP. And if
memory serves me correct, I use the starting base of some VB6 code at
Randy's Birch's VB site.
http://vbnet.mvps.org/

I did this about eight years ago, so I can't quite remember how I wrote it,
but as mentioned, it was not that difficult for a coding monster like me...

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
PleaseNoSpam_kallal(a)msn.com

From: christianlott1 on
http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Visual-Basic-Development/dp/1576100634/ref=sr_1_21?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279121408&sr=1-21

Found this book a few months ago and I do believe it gives a sample
newsreader. I have the CD. If this is important to you I can post the
code probably.
From: Jim Broadbent on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:45:01 -0700 (PDT), "christianlott1(a)yahoo.com"
<christianlott1(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Visual-Basic-Development/dp/1576100634/ref=sr_1_21?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279121408&sr=1-21
>
>Found this book a few months ago and I do believe it gives a sample
>newsreader. I have the CD. If this is important to you I can post the
>code probably.

That would be very helpful. I have found a (compiled) VB6 NNTP
control but reviving my VB setup and sorting out references isn't
very appealing and with with VB code I could do it in Access probably.

From: Douglas J. Steele on
<christianlott1(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Visual-Basic-Development/dp/1576100634/ref=sr_1_21?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279121408&sr=1-21
>
> Found this book a few months ago and I do believe it gives a sample
> newsreader. I have the CD. If this is important to you I can post the
> code probably.

Just recognize that the code may well be copyright, which means you can't
legally repost it.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele