From: HelpMeh on
I've been trying to install 4 important updates to my Dell XPS M1530 running
Windows Vista 32 bit. The updates I've been trying to install are:

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB967723) 4.1 MB

Update for Windows Vista (KB967723) 1.3 MB

Update for Windows Vista (KB972145) 13.7 MB

Update for Windows Vista (KB979306) 1.1 MB
From: Ǝиçεl on
Copied яesponse from MowGreen

For Beginners and Intermediate Users -

1) You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>

> This issue may occur if there is corruption in the Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest.

a) Run sfc /scannow from an Elevated Command Prompt
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212>

b) Download, save, and then run the System Update Readiness Tool
(CheckSUR) <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821>

c) > To resolve this issue, you must perform a repair installation of
Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
> Performing a repair installation will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the
> installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the
> installation DVD.

For Advanced Users or The Fearless -

2) How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
<http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008/09/29/how-to-overcome-error-0x80070490-when-installing-updates-in-windows-vista-server-2008.aspx>

3) Update manually. Security updates are issued the second Tuesday of
the month.
Non-security Windows updates are issued the fourth Tuesday of the month.
A list of all update content by month:

Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
Services changes in content for 2010
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199>

*** Be wary of installing NON-essential software *** that will then have
to be updated when a vulnerability is discovered in them.

Ex: Windows Desktop Search; Silverlight; etc.

MowGreen
===============

OR

Here is the thread which has many potential steps you may try for the issue
related to the same:

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=c87c2e31-ed1f-447a-838d-3afc249659f8&mid=c87c2e31-ed1f-447a-838d-3afc249659f8>
-=-

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2)
when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967723

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB967723).

Or you can...

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following pages for assistance:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)