From: Tim Williams on
"John Larkin" <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in
message news:btmt56p7sobm2av855raubd046a7sr8a1c(a)4ax.com...
> Any others data points?

Hmm, I've got a large power supply that occupies a 5 x 10 x 13" aluminum
box (lots of free space). After a few hours, it gets maybe 20C above
ambient. That's 360 in^2 (not counting the bottom, which is against the
table). Measured power 100W, so the thermal conductivity is about 0.2
C/W, or 72 in^2*C/W. I may be grossly off with my power estimate, and the
top panel may not contribute much by convection, being in stall.

Eating mashed red potatoes. Not just redskin, these are red *all the way
through*. It looks like strawberry ice cream, and is exactly as
delicious, but savory instead of sweet.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

From: whit3rd on
On Aug 8, 9:48 am, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

> >A wall-wart in a plastic case with circa 10 square inches of area
> >has no difficulty in shedding 4W.   Metal should dump heat faster.

> Why would metal dump heat faster? Convection would be the same,
> radiation generally better for plastic.

It's because of turbulent flow; the local cooling of a bit of plastic
in airflow doesn't cause heat flow laterally from nearby plastic
surfaces that are in 'dead air', but lateral heat flow in a metal
case will be significant. Admittedly, turbulent flow outside the
box would have to exist for this to be important, but laminar
flow is not common in uncontrolled environments.