From: herbert422 on
I am unsure if this the correct forum to post, but I am trying to
remove a phantom hotkey. I assigned "ctrl+shift+f" to a shortcut but
accidentally did a shift+del on the shortcut. Now the hotkey is bound
to a non-existent shortcut path. I would like to unmap the ctrl+shift
+f hotkey but have not been able to figure out how to do this.

Thanks in advance!
From: Ol�rin on

"herbert422" <herbert422(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am unsure if this the correct forum to post, but I am trying to
> remove a phantom hotkey. I assigned "ctrl+shift+f" to a shortcut but
> accidentally did a shift+del on the shortcut. Now the hotkey is bound
> to a non-existent shortcut path. I would like to unmap the ctrl+shift
> +f hotkey but have not been able to figure out how to do this.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Try re-creating an identical shortcut and assigning Ctrl+Shift+f to it;
click Apply, then unassign the shortcut key combination (backspace over it)
and click Apply. See if that frees it up for a different shortcut. May not
work but worth a shot!

From: herbert422 on
On Sep 15, 3:01 am, "Olórin" <inca...(a)erkljrjre890aeraekj4na.com>
wrote:
> "herbert422" <herbert...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I am unsure if this the correct forum to post, but I am trying to
> > remove a phantom hotkey. I assigned "ctrl+shift+f" to a shortcut but
> > accidentally did a shift+del on the shortcut. Now the hotkey is bound
> > to a non-existent shortcut path. I would like to unmap the ctrl+shift
> > +f hotkey but have not been able to figure out how to do this.
>
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> Try re-creating an identical shortcut and assigning Ctrl+Shift+f to it;
> click Apply, then unassign the shortcut key combination (backspace over it)
> and click Apply. See if that frees it up for a different shortcut. May not
> work but worth a shot!

Thanks for the reply. I tried recreating the identical shortcut but
when I try to apply ctrl+shift+f, it doesn't hold. It should ctrl
+shift but once I hit the f key the pattern disappears. Isn't the
hotkey store somewhere in the registry?
From: Ol�rin on
"herbert422" <herbert422(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Sep 15, 3:01 am, "Ol�rin" <inca...(a)erkljrjre890aeraekj4na.com>
wrote:
> "herbert422" <herbert...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I am unsure if this the correct forum to post, but I am trying to
> > remove a phantom hotkey. I assigned "ctrl+shift+f" to a shortcut but
> > accidentally did a shift+del on the shortcut. Now the hotkey is bound
> > to a non-existent shortcut path. I would like to unmap the ctrl+shift
> > +f hotkey but have not been able to figure out how to do this.
>
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> Try re-creating an identical shortcut and assigning Ctrl+Shift+f to it;
> click Apply, then unassign the shortcut key combination (backspace over
> it)
> and click Apply. See if that frees it up for a different shortcut. May not
> work but worth a shot!

Thanks for the reply. I tried recreating the identical shortcut but
when I try to apply ctrl+shift+f, it doesn't hold. It should ctrl
+shift but once I hit the f key the pattern disappears. Isn't the
hotkey store somewhere in the registry?

===========

It seems not. There's a good discussion of it - see second entry at

http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/thread/260111010.aspx

This is something I've run into before and never found a solution for -
beyond choosing a different shortcut key combination. When deleting a
shortcut now I always make sure I've removed any shortcut key associated
with it first. In the past I *have* had success by recreating the shortcut -
same name, same location, same target. It can sometimes (not "will always"!)
be *automatically* given the hotkeys *by Windows* when you check its
properties, and they can then be removed - but not always, as you've found.

With the shortcut recreated, albeit without the hotkeys associated, what
happens if you press the key combination?

There's a (non-free) tool "Hotkey Detective 2" available at

which may help you - but you won't know until you've paid for it (or
subscribed to PC Magazine)... :-(

Beyond that, I think this may be one of those mysteries that XP will take
with itself to the grave. Sorry I couldn't help more - perhaps someone else
can.

Pages: 1
Prev: NUM Lock Quandry
Next: Using old color schemes