From: Colin Dawson on
Hi all.

Can someone help without with this puzzle. We have several productions
running SQL Server 2005 Enterprise with SP1. They're all setup identically
(well, probably not otherwize I wouldn't have this issue).

One of the servers has a problem in that the GhostCleanUpTask executes every
4 seconds - like clockwork. When it triggers, it executes about 30
transactions then stops, waits and starts again 4 seconds later. The trace
looks identical every time, and no it's not on SPID 6 - it varies everytime.

For information, at the moment this server is sitting idle (well, it going
to get used very soon) with no user transactions taking place at the moment.

Has anyone seen this before? and can anyone advise on what to so that the
GhostCleanUpTask does not trigger this frequently on a database that is not
doing anything?

For information, I've already run dbcc checkdb on all the databases on the
server - and they're fine. I've also tried re-starting the server without
any difference.

Regards

Colin Dawson
www.cjdawson.com

From: Tibor Karaszi on
My guess is that you have deleted a bunch of rows and the ghost process removes these physically
from the pages.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: Colin Dawson on
Hi Tibor.

That's just the point - we've deleted nothing from any of the tables on the
server. And I mean that there has never been a delete run on the server at
all!

Regards

Colin Dawson
www.cjdawson.com

"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi(a)hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:%23Rr05xmDHHA.4396(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...