From: H-Man on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:32:42 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> Bear Bottoms <bearbottoms1(a)gmai.com> wrote in
>
>> http://www.ghostery.com/
>>

> FireFox has another extension also called BetterPrivacy in addition to
> Ghostery which some people say is also very good. I don't know:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623/

Bear,
Looks like BetterPrivacy is focused on "Flash Cookies (LSO/SuperCookies)"
they call them. Ghostery seems much broader in it's efforts, but seems to
ignore LSO, you would be correct in your indication that they be used
together.

--
HK
From: H-Man on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:03:39 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> H-Man <Spam(a)bites.fs> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:32:42 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:
>>
>>> Bear Bottoms <bearbottoms1(a)gmai.com> wrote in

>>> FireFox has another extension also called BetterPrivacy in addition
>>> to Ghostery which some people say is also very good. I don't know:
>>>
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623/
>>
>> Bear,
>> Looks like BetterPrivacy is focused on "Flash Cookies
>> (LSO/SuperCookies)" they call them. Ghostery seems much broader in
>> it's efforts, but seems to ignore LSO, you would be correct in your
>> indication that they be used together.
>>

> Thanks H-Man. The Chrome extension at this time only shows what events
> happen, and they cannot be blocked though the Ghostery folks indicate
> Google has agreed to provide the API for such in the ? future...I guess
> that is what they need. Such would be a good move for end-users of
> Chrome though it conflicts with Googles desires. It will be interesting
> to see what happens and when.

Yes interesting indeed. 'Spose we'll see soon enough.

--
HK
From: »Q« on
In <news:Xns9DC34CCA7C450bearbottoms1gmaicom(a)news.albasani.net>,
Bear Bottoms <bearbottoms1(a)gmai.com> wrote:

> FireFox has another extension also called BetterPrivacy in addition
> to Ghostery which some people say is also very good. I don't know:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623/

It doesn't have anything to do with what Ghostery does, but does do
exactly what it claims to.

From: H-Man on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:22:44 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> Bear Bottoms <bearbottoms1(a)gmai.com> wrote in
>
>> H-Man <Spam(a)bites.fs> wrote in

>>> Yes interesting indeed. 'Spose we'll see soon enough.
>>>

>> Come to find out, that if you download from the Ghostery site, you get
>> an updated extension (from the one in the Chrome Extension Gallery)
>> that includes /some/ blocking features, but not yet 100%. Things are
>> moving at the least.
>>

> The blocking feature is working very well for Chrome and it is
> automatic. When you visit a page, all challenges are shown and the ones
> blocked have a line through them (crossed out). So far, everything has
> been blocked...even Google. You can create white lists.

Using it now in FF, looks as you describe it, no issues to this point.

--
HK