From: Immortalist on
A (failed) direct challenge to the sceptic's contention that nothing
can be known with certainty.

Here we see an attempt to show that there is something whose existence
cannot be denied and which is such that we can and do know it with
certainty. It is commonly referred to as 'the given'. It is what is
immediately presented to consciousness. Even in erroneous perception,
we will be told to just accept, something is still perceived. Neither
illusion nor hallucination is characterized by perceptual vacuity -
there always is something given. Berkeley spoke of 'the proper object
of the senses', and A. J. Ayer and others of 'sense-data'.

What all foundationalist theories do have in common is the view that
all justification ends with evidence that justifies but is justified
by nothing else. Such stopping points are the foundations of all
justification, and therefore of all knowledge. An absurd claim will be
made that this stopping point is not simply a "basic belief," but some
experience in itself. But we will find that a resort is made to some
belief or other about the state of this being and it's reason for
being or even that it *be.* Any version of foundationalism of this
sort is "doxastic" foundationalism, that is, a version where the
foundational evidence is a belief. (The Greek word 'doxa' signifies
'belief' in English.)

Next we will be told that, even if it does turn out to be a belief
that is used as the final justification, next the attempt will be made
to confuse this belief with some meaningless propositions that can't
properly stand for what is -being- addressed.

But there will be no escape, basic beliefs must be justified in order
to justify other beliefs. Since they are not justified by anything
else, the basic beliefs could only be self-justified. As we will see,
a foundationalism described in the way will have a hard time getting
off the ground.

Philosophical Problems and Arguments: An Introduction
by James W. Cornman, Keith Lehrer, George Sotiros Pappas
From: Zerkon on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:24:39 -0700, Immortalist wrote:

> But there will be no escape, basic beliefs must be justified in order to
> justify other beliefs.

Some of (or THE) Deepest human certainties and absolutisms are not built
upon a belief of something but the eradication of something. Fear is one
of these. Fear can be seen as only a belief inside a reasoned condition,
otherwise fear is a primal reactionary irrational force. A belief becomes
justified if it provides relief usually in the form of prediction which
in turn justifies a sense of control. Religion is an example but then so
is reason and science.

Typing of givens.. how is any reasoned position possible without a base
certainty? Since (I believe) all being is becoming, base certainty will
and must change. If not (I believe) we will perish by becoming artless.

From: Immortalist on
On Aug 9, 6:12 am, Zerkon <Z...(a)erkonx.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:24:39 -0700, Immortalist wrote:
> > But there will be no escape, basic beliefs must be justified in order to
> > justify other beliefs.
>
> Some of (or THE) Deepest human certainties and absolutisms are not built
> upon a belief of something but the eradication of something. Fear is one
> of these. Fear can be seen as only a belief inside a reasoned condition,
> otherwise fear is a primal reactionary irrational force. A belief becomes
> justified if it provides relief usually in the form of prediction which
> in turn justifies a sense of control. Religion is an example but then so
> is reason and science.
>
> Typing of givens.. how is any reasoned position possible without a base
> certainty? Since (I believe) all being is becoming, base certainty will
> and must change. If not (I believe) we will perish by becoming artless.

The defeat of foundtionalism was based upon the theory that the given
by itself was not self justified; something else, some other concepts
had to be added to it in order for it to be justified. Then the
regress of justifications began again.

You position sounds more like Hume's "Mitigated Skepticism" where an
arbitrary point was created to suspend skepticism as much as possible
in order to act in ways that promote survival.

David Hume qualified his own Scepticism by pointing out that to live
at all we have perpetually to make choices, decisions, and this forces
us to form judgements about the way things are, whether we like it or
not. Since certainty is not available to us we have to make the best
assessments we can of the realities we face - and this is incompatible
with regarding all alternatives with equal scepticism. Our Scepticism
therefore needs to be, as he put it, mitigated. It is indeed doubtful
whether anyone could live on the basis of complete Scepticism - or, if
they could, whether such a life would be worth living. But this
refutation of Scepticism, if refutation it is, is not a logical
argument.

In practical life we must steer a middle course between demanding a
degree of certainty that we can never have and treating all
possibilities as if they were of equal weight when they are not.

Story of Philosophy
by Bryan Magee
http://www.amazon.com/Story-Philosophy-Bryan-Magee/dp/078947994X