From: Grant Taylor on
mikea wrote:
> In my experience, not everyone follows every provision of each RFC,
> or even the "MUST"s and "MUST NOT"s of the SMTP-related RFCs.

Correct.

RFCs are not a bible that everyone follows. (Much to my dismay.)

Rather think of RFCs as a suggested interoperability guide / common
standard that people can meet / agree on. It is up to each implementer
to decide if they want to honor any / all parts of the RFC.

Grant. . . .
From: nospam on
In article <MPG.261490af2e52979498968f(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
nospam(a)notreal.com says...
> In article <hod62o$o6a$1(a)obelix.informatik.uni-kiel.de>, Claus =?iso-
> 8859-1?Q?A=DFmann?= <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-
> kiel.de> says...
> > wrote:
> >
> > > MAIL FROM: Test <user(a)mydomain.com>
> > > 250 Sender accepted.
> > > RCPT TO: Test2 <user(a)another.com>
> >
> > Please see RFC 821/2821/...
> >
> > The syntax is utterly wrong.
> >
> After reading the specification it would appear you are suggesting that
> I use
>
> MAIL FROM:<user(a)mydomain.com>
>
> and
>
> RCPT TO:<user(a)another.com>
>
> and I will give those a try. If that is not what you were implying,
> please give an example as I am obviously a slow learner.
>

> The one thing I also found in the spec is "If accepted, the SMTP server
> returns a 250 OK reply. If the mailbox specification is not acceptable
> for some reason, the server MUST return a reply indicating whether the
> failure is permanent...."
>
> If my syntax was so wrong and unacceptable, why did the SMTP server
> return a "250 Sender accepted"?

I ran a telnet session the same as my last one with the Date etc. except
for the format of the "to" and "from" fields where I used the format I
think you were suggesting I use, as shown above, and I still receive a
"554 Message refused."
From: nospam on
In article <hod62o$o6a$1(a)obelix.informatik.uni-kiel.de>, Claus =?iso-
8859-1?Q?A=DFmann?= <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-
kiel.de> says...
> wrote:
>
> > MAIL FROM: Test <user(a)mydomain.com>
> > 250 Sender accepted.
> > RCPT TO: Test2 <user(a)another.com>
>
> Please see RFC 821/2821/...
>
> The syntax is utterly wrong.

After reading some more I tried this - and it worked!!

Thanks for your help. Now to figure out what I doing wrong in send
mail.

At least I know now it can be made to to work. Thanks again.

root(a)myserver:/etc/mail# telnet smtpout.secureserver.net 3535
Trying 72.167.82.80...
Connected to smtpout.secureserver.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtpauth13.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ESMTP
AUTH LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
Z2FyYmFnZQ0KDQo=
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
bW9yZV9nYXJiYWdl
235 Authentication succeeded.
MAIL FROM:<user(a)mydomain.com>
250 Sender accepted.
RCPT TO:<user(a)anotherdomian.com>
250 Recipient accepted.
DATA
354 End your message with a period.
Date: 25 Mar 10 09:42:30
From: user <user(a)mydomain.com>
Subject: Test
To: user <user(a)anotherdomian.com>

This is a test.
..
250 Accepted message qp 27771 bytes 259
From: Grant Taylor on
nospam(a)notreal.com wrote:
> After reading some more I tried this - and it worked!!

Good.

> Thanks for your help. Now to figure out what I doing wrong in send
> mail.

;)

> At least I know now it can be made to to work. Thanks again.

Ayup.

So it looks like GoDaddy is requiring valid headers. Good to know.

Grant. . . .