From: Shadow on
http://fffff.at/google-alarm/

not tried.
[]'s
From: VanguardLH on
Shadow wrote:

> http://fffff.at/google-alarm/
>
> not tried.
> []'s

fffff.at = 69.163.224.99
69.163.224.99 = apache2-linus.budapest.dreamhost.com

Uh huh. I need to visit a site using a webhoster in Brea, CA USA that
has a server in Budapest, Hungary for software the OP can't even be
bothered to describe.

Here's a tiny bit of what I extracted from the web site using a
text-only web browser (SamSpade) for a safe visit:

Firefox addon visually & audibly alerts you whenever your personal
information is being sent to Google servers. Click here to install

Gee, I thought Firefox had some decent adblocker add-ons. Maybe not.
In IE8, I just import an .xml file that I created which defines hosts or
domains to block using its InPrivate Filter feature (along with a
registry edit that makes InPrivate Filter enabled everytime I start IE8)
and I have the Google servers listed to get them blocked; however, if
the site doesn't function because the Google scripts are blocked and I
really want to use that site, I just click in the status bar to
temporary toggle off the InPrivate Filter option and refresh the page.
If you don't want to do all that, just go get a hosts file that includes
the Google hosts, like the MVPs hosts file, to block you from accessing
those hosts.

So what good is someone coming up to you to say that you've been in a
car accident after it already happened? Not much. Same for getting
alerted after the fact that a web site you chose to visit happens to use
Google's tracking, stats, and mapping services.

So you end up getting a Google alerter only for Firefox from a site that
instead uses Quantcast's scripts or tags to do their web analytics on
your visit (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantcast). Oh yes, you
certainly don't want a site using Google's analytics to collect info
about your visit there but instead you surely want some other web
analytics company to do that. Uh huh. I jJust found another domain to
add to my InPrivate Filter block list. It's already listed in the MVPs
hosts file.
From: Shadow on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:03:38 -0500, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote:

>Shadow wrote:
>
>> http://fffff.at/google-alarm/
>>
>> not tried.
>> []'s
(I was honest enough to put "not tried" in the post.)
>fffff.at = 69.163.224.99
>69.163.224.99 = apache2-linus.budapest.dreamhost.com
>
>Uh huh. I need to visit a site using a webhoster in Brea, CA USA that
>has a server in Budapest, Hungary for software the OP can't even be
>bothered to describe.
Do you really think I'm stupid enough to actually visit the
site, a site from Budapest, somewhere between Australia and Thailand ?
Well, in that general direction. It's probably chockablock with
Chinese commies.
I just saw a reference to it, and figured maybe someone else
would look into it for me.
Nobody took the bait.

Errrrmm
>So what good is someone coming up to you to say that you've been in a car accident after it already happened?
All my car accident patients do exactly that.
Thanks for checking out the site.
[]'s
From: VanguardLH on
Shadow wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Shadow wrote:
>>
>>> http:// fffff. at/ google-alarm/
>>>
>>> not tried.
>
> (I was honest enough to put "not tried" in the post.)

Oh, "not tried", like that clear, uh huh. Not tried WHAT? Based on the
dearth of your details, "not tried" would mean you have not tried the
SOFTWARE, not that you haven't *visited* that site.

>> fffff.at = 69.163.224.99
>> 69.163.224.99 = apache2-linus.budapest.dreamhost.com
>>
>> Uh huh. I need to visit a site using a webhoster in Brea, CA USA
>> that has a server in Budapest, Hungary for software the OP can't
>> even be bothered to describe.
>
> Do you really think I'm stupid enough to actually visit the site,

You were the one promoting it in your post so presumably you knew about
the site which you already visited there. You thought your post was
actually that detailed that anyone would've understood the purpose of
your post (other than to guess you were a spammer)?

But I did make a mistake. In my reply, I should've added spaces to make
the link unclickable to prevent someone else from accidentally visiting
that site. Did it this time.
From: Shadow on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:03:38 -0500, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote:

>Shadow wrote:
>
>> http://fffff.at/google-alarm/
>>
>> not tried.
>> []'s
>
>fffff.at = 69.163.224.99
>69.163.224.99 = apache2-linus.budapest.dreamhost.com
The story I read:
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/08/06/google.alarm/index.html
[]'s