From: Cezanne123 on
Let G be a group such that the intersection of all its subgroups which are different from (e) is a subgroup different from (e). Prove that every element in G has finite order.

How do you show this is true?
From: on
In article <19790289.1159493051233.JavaMail.jakarta(a)nitrogen.mathforum.org>,
Cezanne123 <Cezanne123(a)aol.com> writes:
>Let G be a group such that the intersection of all its subgroups which are different from (e) is a subgroup different from (e). Prove that every element in G has finite order.
>
>How do you show this is true?

Well the property that you mention is false in the infinite cyclic group, so
it is also false in any group that contains an element of infinite order.

Derek Holt.

From: Tonico on

mareg(a)mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk wrote:
> In article <19790289.1159493051233.JavaMail.jakarta(a)nitrogen.mathforum.org>,
> Cezanne123 <Cezanne123(a)aol.com> writes:
> >Let G be a group such that the intersection of all its subgroups which are different from (e) is a subgroup different from (e). Prove that every element in G has finite order.
> >
> >How do you show this is true?
>
> Well the property that you mention is false in the infinite cyclic group, so
> it is also false in any group that contains an element of infinite order.
>
> Derek Holt.
Perhaps I missed something here: the intersection of all the
non-trivial sbgps of the infinite cyclic group (Z ) is zero, otherwise
there'd be an integer divisible by
ANY prime...
So the OP's condition on the group isn't applicable to Z.
Now let G be a group as the OP proposes, and supose x is an element of
infinite order in G ==> <x> is isomorphic to Z and for every n, <x^n>
is a sbgp of
<x>, and thus of G. But, again, the intersection of these not-trivial
sbgps is trivial, so the condition isn't fulfilled by G ==>
contradiction ==> there can't be an element of infinite order in such a
group G.
Regards
Tonio

From: on
In article <1160046334.164177.156020(a)m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
"Tonico" <Tonicopm(a)yahoo.com> writes:

>mareg(a)mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk wrote:
>> In article <19790289.1159493051233.JavaMail.jakarta(a)nitrogen.mathforum.org>,
>> Cezanne123 <Cezanne123(a)aol.com> writes:
>> >Let G be a group such that the intersection of all its subgroups which are different from (e) is a subgroup different from (e). Prove that every element in G has finite order.
>> >
>> >How do you show this is true?
>>
>> Well the property that you mention is false in the infinite cyclic group, so
>> it is also false in any group that contains an element of infinite order.
>>
>> Derek Holt.
>*********************************************************************************
>Perhaps I missed something here: the intersection of all the
>non-trivial sbgps of the infinite cyclic group (Z ) is zero, otherwise
>there'd be an integer divisible by
>ANY prime...
>So the OP's condition on the group isn't applicable to Z.

That's exactly what I said above! I was trying to give hint rather than a
detailed proof.

Derek Holt.

From: Arturo Magidin on
In article <2795489.1159493241696.JavaMail.jakarta(a)nitrogen.mathforum.org>,
Cezanne123 <Cezanne123(a)aol.com> wrote:
>If G has no nontrivial subgroups, show that G must be finite of prime order.
>
>How do you show this is true?

I did it by paying attention in class and doing my own assignments.

By the way: your proposition is false.

"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about
what I accept as reality."
--- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson)

Arturo Magidin
magidin-at-member-ams-org

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2