From: Paul W Smith on
Very simple question, but one I cannot manage to answer.....

Using XL2003, is it possible to protect a worksheet, but still have the
grouping buttons work?

Is this possible using XL2007?

From: Dave Peterson on
If you already have the outline/subtotals/autofilter applied, you can protect
the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook_open??).

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
With Worksheets("sheet1")
.Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True
.EnableOutlining = True
'.EnableAutoFilter = True
'If .FilterMode Then
' .ShowAllData
'End If
End With
End Sub

It needs to be reset each time you open the workbook. (Earlier versions of
excel don't remember it after closing the workbook. IIRC, xl2002+ will remember
the allow autofilter setting under tools|Protection|protect sheet, but that
won't help when you're filtering via code.)

I've never tested it in xl2007.

--

Dave Peterson