From: Mumia W. on
On 07/18/2010 12:28 PM, Zeljko wrote:
> I did add vga=773 in a kernel line, that's exactly the size I want
> for my monitor resolution.
>
> Booting begins with the the large font as usual, than it switches
> to the size I selected vga 773 as I intended,
> but! at one point it switches to a _very_ small font size in console;
> I need a magnifier in order to read it !
>
> Please, how to keep, or prevent a system to change the font size, or
> to prevent it to override the indication in the kernel line and keep
> the size as selected ?
>
> Here is an excerpt from my /boot/grub/menu.lst:
> kernel /vmlinuz26
> root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/42b087de-3829-4a18-9810-17d84ad5c8bb ro vga=773

The startup scripts might be changing the console font. You didn't
mention what distribution you're using, so I'll have to assume. Debian
Lenny seems to still have /etc/init.d/console-screen.sh. If you have
Debian Lenny, examine that file to see how the console fonts are
configured. My console-screen.sh references /etc/console-tools/config;
perhaps appropriate changes there will help you.

In a previous distribution of Debian, I disabled the startup scripts in
/etc/rc?.d/ for console-screen.sh, and I used by own, custom-created
script for setting up the console. If you follow this path, make sure
you understand how to create your own startup scripts in /etc/init.d/
and configure them to run in the appropriate runlevels (if you're still
using runlevels).

Read these:
man update-rc.d
man consolefonts
man console
man console_codes
ls /usr/share/consolefonts

I mention console_codes because you may need to set the console into
UTF-8 mode. Read up on "ESC % @" and "ESC % G". Good luck.

From: unruh on
On 2010-07-23, Feranija <feranija(a)net> wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 12:00 PM, Mumia W. wrote:
>> On 07/18/2010 12:28 PM, Zeljko wrote:
>>> I did add vga=773 in a kernel line, that's exactly the size I want
>>> for my monitor resolution.
>>>
>>> Booting begins with the the large font as usual, than it switches
>>> to the size I selected vga 773 as I intended,
>>> but! at one point it switches to a _very_ small font size in console;
>>> I need a magnifier in order to read it !
>>>
>>> Please, how to keep, or prevent a system to change the font size, or
>>> to prevent it to override the indication in the kernel line and keep
>>> the size as selected ?
>>>
>>> Here is an excerpt from my /boot/grub/menu.lst:
>>> kernel /vmlinuz26
>>> root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/42b087de-3829-4a18-9810-17d84ad5c8bb ro vga=773
>>>

>> The startup scripts might be changing the console font. You didn't
>> mention what distribution you're using, so I'll have to assume. Debian
>> Lenny seems to still have /etc/init.d/console-screen.sh. If you have
>> Debian Lenny, examine that file to see how the console fonts are
>> configured. My console-screen.sh references /etc/console-tools/config;
>> perhaps appropriate changes there will help you.
>>
>> In a previous distribution of Debian, I disabled the startup scripts in
>> /etc/rc?.d/ for console-screen.sh, and I used by own, custom-created
>> script for setting up the console. If you follow this path, make sure
>> you understand how to create your own startup scripts in /etc/init.d/
>> and configure them to run in the appropriate runlevels (if you're still
>> using runlevels).
>>
>> Read these:
>> man update-rc.d
>> man consolefonts
>> man console
>> man console_codes
>> ls /usr/share/consolefonts
>>
>> I mention console_codes because you may need to set the console into
>> UTF-8 mode. Read up on "ESC % @" and "ESC % G". Good luck.
>

> Yes, it was a a matter of a font selection in a start-up script. I
> thought it was all about resolution, but it seems nowdays vga in a
> grub kernel line is deprecated and have no function any more.
> Thank you for pointing this out.

Nope. that is not true. On my system if I choose one of the VESA modes,
the system dies. I must choose vga=0 (or one of the otehr low vga modes)
At least on my system the small font seems to be being done in the
initrd
What script did you find helped?