From: T Shadow on
"RJK" <nosuch(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> (old) ....Conroe 865PE | E6300 1.86ghz | Nvidia 7800 GS | Hauppage TD-500
> model 289 pci | XP Home SP3+ | dvd rewriter
>
> Have been attempting to choose a Large screen monitor for use as t.v.
> monitor, and I just spotted :-
>
> "High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a copyright
> protection system that is incorporated into the DVI connector. It helps
> stop unauthorized duplication of copyrighted content. HDCP allows you to
> play protected content media such as movies and concerts. It checks the
> signal to prevent piracy, allowing only legal copies of content to
> display. High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a copyright
> protection system that is incorporated into the DVI connector. It helps
> stop unauthorized duplication of copyrighted content. HDCP allows you to
> play protected content media such as movies and concerts. It checks the
> signal to prevent piracy, allowing only legal copies of content to
> display."
>
> Until just spotting this, I had always thought that a monitor with HDCP
> comliant DVI port was desirable or required, to be able to, for example,
> to play DVD's ...( though, have never had any trouble playing anything in
> PC dvd drive !
> ...or would it be simpler to pay a bit more and get a monitor with a HDMI
> socket on it.
> I don't have HDMI port on the back of old AGP 7800GS graphics card but, it
> does have a DVI-I (and VGA port) on it, ...and SVHS but, don't intend to
> use that, and I do have a DVI-I to HDMI adapter, that came with the 7800
> GS card.
>
> ....any tips appreciated.
>
> regards, Richard

You don't need anything special to play DVD. Have a Pentium2 300MHZ, with a
4Mb on board video card that will do that. You'll need HDCP to get the most
out of Blue Ray. HDMI is the same as DVI-D except it
also has digital audio. both can have, or not, HDCP. DVI-I has both DVI-D
and DVI-A. You can check out all these terms on Wikipedia in much greater
detail than anyone is likely to post here.

From: RJK on

"RJK" <nosuch(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> (old) ....Conroe 865PE | E6300 1.86ghz | Nvidia 7800 GS | Hauppage TD-500
> model 289 pci | XP Home SP3+ | dvd rewriter
>
> Have been attempting to choose a Large screen monitor for use as t.v.
> monitor, and I just spotted :-
>
> "High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a copyright
> protection system that is incorporated into the DVI connector. It helps
> stop unauthorized duplication of copyrighted content. HDCP allows you to
> play protected content media such as movies and concerts. It checks the
> signal to prevent piracy, allowing only legal copies of content to
> display. High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a copyright
> protection system that is incorporated into the DVI connector. It helps
> stop unauthorized duplication of copyrighted content. HDCP allows you to
> play protected content media such as movies and concerts. It checks the
> signal to prevent piracy, allowing only legal copies of content to
> display."
>
> Until just spotting this, I had always thought that a monitor with HDCP
> comliant DVI port was desirable or required, to be able to, for example,
> to play DVD's ...( though, have never had any trouble playing anything in
> PC dvd drive !
> ...or would it be simpler to pay a bit more and get a monitor with a HDMI
> socket on it.
> I don't have HDMI port on the back of old AGP 7800GS graphics card but, it
> does have a DVI-I (and VGA port) on it, ...and SVHS but, don't intend to
> use that, and I do have a DVI-I to HDMI adapter, that came with the 7800
> GS card.
>
> ....any tips appreciated.
>
> regards, Richard

Thanks all,