From: al pacino on
Hi Ben,
i think 'ullmann ' is very difficult for a bigginer to understand,
instead 'algorithms in c++' by robert sedgewick is much easier read and
terrafic too.

From: Rogério Brito on
Hi, Al Pacino. :-)

al pacino wrote:
> i think 'ullmann ' is very difficult for a bigginer to understand,
> instead 'algorithms in c++' by robert sedgewick is much easier read and
> terrafic too.

Well, I don't know if seeing the algorithm for the first time with all
de details of a language like C++ is the way to go. For a clean
analysis, I would recommend "Introduction to Algorithms", by Cormen et.al.

This is, by the way, the reference that I use when I teach introductory
courses on analysis of algorithms. Actually, I define a binary heap in a
way that is somewhat different than the norm---which I think is better
for the students, but, in the end, the algorithm remains the same (of
course).

The only part of the analysis of Heapsort that may not be that obvious
is the construction of a heap in linear time. But given the fact that
the extraction of the elements from the heap takes time n\lg n, then it
doesn't matter that much if the initial heap is constructed in time
o(n\lg n).

Regards, Rog?rio Brito.

--
Rog?rio Brito : rbrito(a)ime.usp.br : http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito
Homepage on freshmeat: http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/
From: Radha on
Thank you so much Rogerio. I will go through the links and the book.

Regards