From: Albert Graef on
Hi,

I have a 48GX lying around here to which I want to transfer some files.
Unfortunately, I can't get my Linux desktop (openSUSE 10.1) to
communicate to the calc, neither with hptalx nor with ckermit, and my
laptop (which still has Windows on it) doesn't have a serial interface.

So I thought that maybe I could transfer the files from my 50G using the
IR interface but they don't seem to be able to talk to each other; I
tried both the Kermit and Xmodem protocols. Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a way to get this to work?

TIA,
Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
From: manjo on
> Hi,
>
> I have a 48GX lying around here to which I want to transfer some files.
> Unfortunately, I can't get my Linux desktop (openSUSE 10.1) to
> communicate to the calc, neither with hptalx nor with ckermit, and my
> laptop (which still has Windows on it) doesn't have a serial interface.
>
> So I thought that maybe I could transfer the files from my 50G using the
> IR interface but they don't seem to be able to talk to each other; I
> tried both the Kermit and Xmodem protocols. Am I doing something wrong?
> Is there a way to get this to work?
>
> TIA,
> Albert

Hello Dr. Gr�f,

-that will not work simply because 48GX and 50G have different type of IR

50G has IrDA (common for many modern devices)
48GX has HPIR (older, serial over IR, protocol)

Up to date there is no software to use 50G in HPIR mode,
indications are that it could be done, but probaby not at this point.

I read somwhere that 50G can print to old HPIR printers, this would indicate
that
problems is on the reciving part of 50G.
(at lower level related to the way how UART samples it's input and length of
light pulses)

The best way for you is to buy universal USB to RS232 adapter and use it to
connect
your laptop to 48GX.
The other way is (as Linux fans may say) to make it work, you just have to
understand the issue, and
spend some time to make it work :-)

manjo

From: Albert Graef on
manjo wrote:
> -that will not work simply because 48GX and 50G have different type of IR

Ok, I see.

> The other way is (as Linux fans may say) to make it work, you just have to
> understand the issue, and spend some time to make it work :-)

Well, it's not just an issue with the 48 or the serial port, hptalx
won't connect to my 50G via USB either, even though the system log
indicates that the device is properly recognized. Alas, I just don't
have the time to dig into that. So I'll probably just get an USB/RS232
adapter instead, as you suggested.

Thanks,
Albert

From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:48:34 -0600, manjo wrote:

> I read somewhere that 50G can print to old HPIR printers,
> this would indicate that problems is on the receiving part of 50G.

Unrelated; the HP82240B IR printer uses its own proprietary
(and one-way) protocol, which is neither IrDA nor SIR:

http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=4742
http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/programming/82240bte.zip

http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=4741
http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/programming/48techni.zip

Aren't 49G+ and 50G also still identical,
re anything not involving the wired serial port?
(by the way, keep flag -78 cleared in the 50G
when attempting any other communications :)

[r->] [OFF]