From: Summer1 on
Good Day:

When I check for scanner drivers for models 2400c, 3970, and 4200 on HP's
website, it only lists XP and earlier.

Do any HP scanner models have drivers for Windows Vista?

Will an XP driver work on Vista?

What are Vista users supposed to do?

From: Summer1 on
*I wanted to add something.

When I checked drivers for HP 2400c, HP 3970, and HP 4200 for Windows Vista
on HP's website, it showed a Vista driver for 3970 but not for 4200c or 3400c.

That doesn't make sense since the 4200c model is a newer model than 3970.

Why would a manufacturer create a Vista driver for an older scanner model
but not a newer scanner model?

Can an XP driver be used for Vista or do Vista users have to purchase a
scanner that is compatible with Vista?

From: Chuck on
HP and other equipment mfrs make money selling new equipment, not extending
the life of older models. The 3970 was a "mass market" scanner,
and likely has/had enough users that HP didn't want to listen to the
complaints. You should look at Viewscan, and perhaps try the free download
to see if it works.
There is also a difference between a driver that requires minimal changing
to work with Vista/Win 7 and one that requires an extensive re-write.

From: DL on
4200c dates from 2001
3970 dates from 2003
As to your Q, google for 4200 with Vista - 7k hits

From: John Inzer on
Summer1 wrote:
> Good Day:
>
> When I check for scanner drivers for models 2400c, 3970, and 4200 on
> HP's website, it only lists XP and earlier.
>
> Do any HP scanner models have drivers for Windows Vista?
>
> Will an XP driver work on Vista?
>
> What are Vista users supposed to do?
=====================================
Try searching for Vista drivers at the following site:

HP Support and Drivers
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP