From: not4mail on

I installed a 1G SD card in a 50g w/2.09 ROM. Mostly OK, but a couple
of questions:

(1) When a directory from {HOME} is copied to both ERAM and SD, the
resulting item (marked DIR) in ERAM is traversable via the arrow keys.
The SD item (marked HPDIR) is not traversable. Is this normal?

(2) After STO'ing an object in :3:"TEST/ITEM" RCL, EVAL and PURGE all
work. However, after PURGEing :3:"TEST/ITEM" I've found no way to
delete the empty directory :3:"TEST". This can't be right! What have
I missed?

I've re-formated to clear my tests, but once the card's in-use,
re-formatting's probably not an option.

From: TW on
> (1) When a directory from {HOME} is copied to both ERAM and SD, the
> resulting item (marked DIR) in ERAM is traversable via the arrow keys.
> The SD item (marked HPDIR) is not traversable. Is this normal?

Yes. You can only browse DOS directories on the SD card.

> (2) After STO'ing an object in :3:"TEST/ITEM" RCL, EVAL and PURGE all
> work. However, after PURGEing :3:"TEST/ITEM" I've found no way to
> delete the empty directory :3:"TEST". This can't be right! What have
> I missed?

Nothing. The only way to do this is by using the computer or a 3rd
party program such as my SDfiler. It wasn't ever finished however
since the HPGCC filesystem had some issues with certain cards not
adhering to SD standard. This has now been fixed so I hope to finish
it shortly and upload the program to the hpcalc.org.

TW

From: not4mail on

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, TW wrote:

> > (1) When a directory from {HOME} is copied to both ERAM and SD, the
> > resulting item (marked DIR) in ERAM is traversable via the arrow keys.
> > The SD item (marked HPDIR) is not traversable. Is this normal?
>
> Yes. You can only browse DOS directories on the SD card.

I was afraid of that. It certainly makes the SD memory less versatile.

> > (2) After STO'ing an object in :3:"TEST/ITEM" RCL, EVAL and PURGE all
> > work. However, after PURGEing :3:"TEST/ITEM" I've found no way to
> > delete the empty directory :3:"TEST". This can't be right! What have
> > I missed?
>
> Nothing. The only way to do this is by using the computer or a 3rd
> party program such as my SDfiler. It wasn't ever finished however
> since the HPGCC filesystem had some issues with certain cards not
> adhering to SD standard. This has now been fixed so I hope to finish
> it shortly and upload the program to the hpcalc.org.

I'll be looking forward to that!

It seems odd to only partially support a directory-structure.

Also -- thanks for the reply. I'd pretty much exhausted sites to
search and things to try.

--
..
From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:02:50 -0600, not4mail:

>> You can only browse DOS directories on the SD card
>> [i.e. you can't go into a *calc* directory tree
>> for a *calc* directory object stored on the card]

> It certainly makes the SD memory less versatile.

Why? How about if you drop an MS-DOS/Windows directory
into a calculator variable -- would you expect it
to be browseable in that milieu, just as if it were
a directory of calculator objects?
(if so, perhaps fish should drive cars
and people should live in the seas :)

It seems to me that what you can do with an SD card,
which is actually a computer mass storage device,
corresponds quite closely to what you can do with
the built-in "Transfer" application, viewing
the directories of "Remote PC files" and
transferring those files to or from the integrated RAM-based,
non-heierarchical storage system of the calculator,
which bears no resemblance to an external mass storage system,
and contains only specially structured calculator objects
of a few special types (numbers, strings, lists, arrays,
programs, symbolic expressions, libraries, etc.)

In other words, the SD card acts like the file system
of a remote computer, not really a calculator "port" at all,
wherein reside all sorts of foreign things that are *not*
calculator-compatible objects, thus it is basically
available for you to transfer *computer* type files
into and out of the calculator's memory system,
if and only if they happen to be valid calculator objects,
imported/exported into/from the calculator in the same way
as any other *external* computer files (e.g. they need
"HPHP49-x" headers if they are binary objects, etc.)

To expect a remote computer disk to act directly like
built-in mappable memory seems a bit of a stretch to me,
although of course it is eventually possible
to add yet another layer of programming
to perform some file transfer for you and then
look at the copied file, pretending that it is the original,
saving you the extra step of first transferring it yourself
into a built-in port or a user variable, where the built-in Filer
could then handle it as an internal calculator object anyway.

The only thing that the internal ARM OS doesn't provide
is to delete or rename Windows (or MS-DOS) directories
within the mass-storage system file structure;
fortunately this is a minor omission, because those objects
are both rather small and also tend to be left alone
(we usually create or change them using our computer anyway,
although you can at least *create* them in the calculator,
just as you can even format your SD card in the calculator).

So I can see why the current ARM OS was not expected
to be called upon to do any more about computer file systems,
because this product is still thought of as a traditional
graphing calculator, based on its original platform,
and not as something evolving on its own to become
a computer OS, enough of which have already been developed
that new products will probably be designed from the ground up
to run within an existing computer OS, instead of
having to build yet another computer OS on top of itself.

[r->] [OFF]
From: Marcus von Cube on
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:19:57 -0600, John H Meyers wrote:

>thus it is basically
>available for you to transfer *computer* type files
>into and out of the calculator's memory system,
>if and only if they happen to be valid calculator objects,
>imported/exported into/from the calculator in the same way
>as any other *external* computer files (e.g. they need
>"HPHP49-x" headers if they are binary objects, etc.)

What's missing here is support for ASCII encoded objects. I know that it is
possible to transfer them as strings, cut off the header and convert them to
objects, but it's still an omission. The feature whould greatly simplify the
management of calculator objects on a PC with card reader.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de Cruising with eComStation and PMINEWS/2

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: XCELL
Next: HP Calculator Book at Samson Cables