From: msnews on
Yes, it was Peter?

mine and my daughters were still connected.
..
So even though I had disconnected keyboard and mouse, disabled network
adapter, pulled out network adapter from back of pc, it still carried on.
Pulled plug on my daughters pc, it still carried on. Pulled plug on my pc,
it still carried on.. In the end, I just pulled plug on router itself, so
no power. Then and only then, did it stop. I saved the notepad doc of convo
in its entirety at 11.49pm on the desktop. Went back 3 hours later to find
half the convo content missing with no moderation to date accessed, modified
or created properties. Whats that all about..? Creepy! Granted pc was left
on with net enabled overnight for virus scan, but with external hds
disconnected, interface devices disconnected how can the doc be modified.

So my question is... it possible to suspend the timestamp on a pc, make
changes to docs and revert time stamp and it reflect in document properties?

any answers would be appreciated, coz right now, the kids think we have a
ghost in the house!

From: Tigger on
msnews writted thus:

> Hi all Thanks for feedback. I have run avast av, which did discover a
> malware in the rootkit sytem of the server, but it was not called
> backdoor.nepoe. Can a malicious program operate keyboard and mouse with
> no internet and no keyboard or mouse connected? The interaction was too
> familiar feeling for it to be a trojan bot even if it did scan my ex hds
> for info, and was able to answer questions. Some questions we were
> saying, were answered before I even typed them, creating the suspicion
> that we had a mic was on in the house or that we were being bugged! It
> seemed more like a hack really but how is this possible with know
> enabled network connection or attached devices?

ROFL Got any clever kids in the house??
You might have been the butt of a practical joke...
From: Peter on
On 08/09/2010 07:48 PM, msnews wrote:
> Yes, it was Peter?
>
> mine and my daughters were still connected.
> .
> So even though I had disconnected keyboard and mouse, disabled network
> adapter, pulled out network adapter from back of pc, it still carried on.
> Pulled plug on my daughters pc, it still carried on. Pulled plug on my pc,
> it still carried on.. In the end, I just pulled plug on router itself, so
> no power. Then and only then, did it stop. I saved the notepad doc of convo
> in its entirety at 11.49pm on the desktop. Went back 3 hours later to find
> half the convo content missing with no moderation to date accessed, modified
> or created properties. Whats that all about..? Creepy! Granted pc was left
> on with net enabled overnight for virus scan, but with external hds
> disconnected, interface devices disconnected how can the doc be modified.
>
> So my question is... it possible to suspend the timestamp on a pc, make
> changes to docs and revert time stamp and it reflect in document properties?
>
> any answers would be appreciated, coz right now, the kids think we have a
> ghost in the house!

I would scan the other computers for malware. Is the firewall in the
router enabled and is the router password protected?

--
Peter
From: msnews on
Well, its just me, and my two girls.. a teen and a younger daughter, both
don't care about IT and don't wish to understand as long as they can get on
facebook and dollspalace.com, therefore no IT knowhow whatsoever.

I may be the butt of a practical joke, but its a very good one! Im an
intelligent gal, not an IT pro or anything, but savvy enough to maintain a
network and keep it like fortnocks for the last 10 years, virus and trojan
free, but this is a new one on me! hijack a pc with no internet or
interactive devices.. I wantt to know how they did it!

donna

From: Elmo on
msnews wrote:
> Yes, it was Peter?
>
> mine and my daughters were still connected.
> .
> So even though I had disconnected keyboard and mouse, disabled network
> adapter, pulled out network adapter from back of pc, it still carried on.
> Pulled plug on my daughters pc, it still carried on. Pulled plug on my pc,
> it still carried on.. In the end, I just pulled plug on router itself, so
> no power. Then and only then, did it stop. I saved the notepad doc of convo
> in its entirety at 11.49pm on the desktop. Went back 3 hours later to find
> half the convo content missing with no moderation to date accessed, modified
> or created properties. Whats that all about..? Creepy! Granted pc was left
> on with net enabled overnight for virus scan, but with external hds
> disconnected, interface devices disconnected how can the doc be modified.
>
> So my question is... it possible to suspend the timestamp on a pc, make
> changes to docs and revert time stamp and it reflect in document properties?
>
> any answers would be appreciated, coz right now, the kids think we have a
> ghost in the house!
>

> "Peter Taylor" <noemailspam(a)please.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 8/9/2010 4:16 PM, msnews wrote:
>>> Hi all Thanks for feedback. I have run avast av, which did discover a
>>> malware in the rootkit sytem of the server, but it was not called
>>> backdoor.nepoe. Can a malicious program operate keyboard and mouse with
>>> no
>>> internet and no keyboard or mouse connected? The interaction was too
>>> familiar feeling for it to be a trojan bot even if it did scan my ex hds
>>> for
>>> info, and was able to answer questions. Some questions we were saying,
>>> were
>>> answered before I even typed them, creating the suspicion that we had a
>>> mic
>>> was on in the house or that we were being bugged! It seemed more like a
>>> hack
>>> really but how is this possible with know enabled network connection or
>>> attached devices?
>> Is the server still connected to the other computers?
>>
>> --
>> Peter Taylor

If it's a wireless router, that's probably how they were gaining entry.
It has to be someone within, say.. a hundred feet of the router, if
that's the case. Turning off your keyboard and mouse wouldn't affect
their control of your machine.

--

Joe =o)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last