From: Tom Ogilvy on
Phil,

the short answer is no.

but in your own example, you know when you get the error at that line, that
the file was not found. So you can anticipate for each particular line of
code what error could occur and you adjust your error handling at each point
to respond accordingly.

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but it is pretty much common practice
to proceed the way I have described. I don't think I have ever seen code
where the error description string is parsed to determine the nature of the
error.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy