From: Rick L. Vinyard, Jr. on
One of the sticking points I have with the G13 driver is that I'd like it
to have support for macros. The reason I'd like to support macros is that
the G13's raison d'etre is to allow the end user to customize the device
with their own macros.

However, I've been looking around and I can't find any support for macros
within the kernel.

In particular, I have support for getkeycode and setkeycode ioctl's. I was
thinking of supporting at least setkeycode to allow a standard way to set
a one key macro. Supporting getkeycode and setting keybit are more
problematic.

If someone has already brought this issue up I apologize, but I couldn't
find any discussion on the linux-input list relating to macros (at least
other than preprocessor macros).

Any suggestions?

--

Rick

From: Dmitry Torokhov on
Hi Rick,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:19:30PM -0600, Rick L. Vinyard, Jr. wrote:
> One of the sticking points I have with the G13 driver is that I'd like it
> to have support for macros. The reason I'd like to support macros is that
> the G13's raison d'etre is to allow the end user to customize the device
> with their own macros.
>
> However, I've been looking around and I can't find any support for macros
> within the kernel.
>
> In particular, I have support for getkeycode and setkeycode ioctl's. I was
> thinking of supporting at least setkeycode to allow a standard way to set
> a one key macro. Supporting getkeycode and setting keybit are more
> problematic.
>
> If someone has already brought this issue up I apologize, but I couldn't
> find any discussion on the linux-input list relating to macros (at least
> other than preprocessor macros).
>
> Any suggestions?

I consider macro handling to be userspace task. If needed, macro
sequences can be injected back into the kernel via uinput devices to be
consumed by regualar applications.

--
Dmitry
From: Rick L. Vinyard, Jr. on

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:19:30PM -0600, Rick L. Vinyard, Jr. wrote:
>> One of the sticking points I have with the G13 driver is that I'd like
>> it
>> to have support for macros. The reason I'd like to support macros is
>> that
>> the G13's raison d'etre is to allow the end user to customize the device
>> with their own macros.
>>
>> However, I've been looking around and I can't find any support for
>> macros
>> within the kernel.
>>
>> In particular, I have support for getkeycode and setkeycode ioctl's. I
>> was
>> thinking of supporting at least setkeycode to allow a standard way to
>> set
>> a one key macro. Supporting getkeycode and setting keybit are more
>> problematic.
>>
>> If someone has already brought this issue up I apologize, but I couldn't
>> find any discussion on the linux-input list relating to macros (at least
>> other than preprocessor macros).
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> I consider macro handling to be userspace task. If needed, macro
> sequences can be injected back into the kernel via uinput devices to be
> consumed by regualar applications.

That clarifies alot. Thanks.

--

Rick