From: Farhan on
I trying to format one of my partition. When i reaches 83% it hangs (slows
in fact).

I tried to:
format by right click in My Computer.
format by changing from NTFS to FAT32.
run some other third party programs in DOS mode. Which shows some ectivity
but didnt pass 83% after long time and shows "Bad" there.
Run Scandisk which says "No Problem".
format using XP CD. same result.
Some programs, run in dos mode, shows errors at that point i.e. 83% (counted
90 till i stopped test).
Powermax says disk is dying.
quick format works fine.

How can i stop further damage or spreading bad sectors to my disk?
And full format my disk properly?

From: Paul on
Farhan wrote:
> I trying to format one of my partition. When i reaches 83% it hangs (slows
> in fact).
>
> I tried to:
> format by right click in My Computer.
> format by changing from NTFS to FAT32.
> run some other third party programs in DOS mode. Which shows some ectivity
> but didnt pass 83% after long time and shows "Bad" there.
> Run Scandisk which says "No Problem".
> format using XP CD. same result.
> Some programs, run in dos mode, shows errors at that point i.e. 83% (counted
> 90 till i stopped test).
> Powermax says disk is dying.
> quick format works fine.
>
> How can i stop further damage or spreading bad sectors to my disk?
> And full format my disk properly?

If a diagnostic utility says a disk is dying, that sounds like a
good reason to replace the drive with a new one. If the drive
is under warranty, contact the drive manufacturer.

If you want to do a surface scan, you can do that with HDTune.
HDTune should also be able to display the SMART statistics,
an indicator of drive health.

(Download version 2.55)
http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

If you want to torture yourself, by using a bad hard
drive, and trying to repair it for some reason, you
can try SpinRite. But I'd rather put the money into
a new hard drive. Or use the warranty on the existing
drive, to get it repaired for the price of shipping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinrite

Paul
From: John John - MVP on
Farhan wrote:
> I trying to format one of my partition. When i reaches 83% it hangs (slows
> in fact).
>
> I tried to:
> format by right click in My Computer.
> format by changing from NTFS to FAT32.
> run some other third party programs in DOS mode. Which shows some ectivity
> but didnt pass 83% after long time and shows "Bad" there.
> Run Scandisk which says "No Problem".
> format using XP CD. same result.
> Some programs, run in dos mode, shows errors at that point i.e. 83% (counted
> 90 till i stopped test).
> Powermax says disk is dying.
> quick format works fine.
>
> How can i stop further damage or spreading bad sectors to my disk?
> And full format my disk properly?

I agree with Paul, it's time to replace your disk. If you don't you'll
just end up loosing data.

John

Pages: 1
Prev: checkpoint errors