From: Ant on
On 10/11/2009 2:27 PM PT, Beckett typed:

>> This morning (computer was not used for over 11 hours; screen saver came
>> up after 75 minutes; monitor went to sleep after two hours), my 19"
>> Samsung 931BF LCD monitor (VGA connection due to an old KVM switch)
>> wouldn't wake up for the first time with this 10-11 months old ATI
>> Radeon HD 4870 video card (512 MB) and system (did a major upgrade end
>> of December 2008. My other computer with its EVGA GeForce 8800 GT, again
>> on KVM and VGA connection, detected the monitor's wakeup just fine.
>
> I put in a 5870 using their 5870 recommended drivers on Win7 and I got
> a BSOD when the PC woke. Never had that issue with 4870 on sam,e OS
> and drivers up to 9.9. I turned off the sleep option for now and only
> allow it to turne off the Samsung LCD which causes no issue.

Interesting. I am still using v9.7 and had it installed since July 2009.
I don't know if driver upgrades will fix it.
--
o/~ All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving...
they all do it the same... they all do it the same... way... o/~ --Ants
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Ant on
On 10/17/2009 12:12 PM PT, Tom typed:

> I've had that problem before, but it has only happened three times and
> the most likely cause here was the F@H GPU client crashing the card.

Interesting. I don't use that client but do have basic 2D (doesn't use
OpenGL, Direct3D, etc.) screen savers.

> When I returned and couldn't wake the computer up with the mouse and
> realized that the computer itself hadn't crashed, I did the memorized 6
> keystrokes that reboot a Windows XP computer. Once a restart had begun,
> the GPU once again displayed the normal booting sequence.

Yep, sounds like mine with ssh method.

> Lately the problem I've been having is that, while the Display
> properties have both the "Blank" screen saver and the monitor shut-off
> enabled, the computer fails to start the screen saver or shut-off the
> monitor in their allotted time.

You know what. I am having this problem too sometimes. I thought it was
because of my Mozilla's SeaMonkey v1.1.18 Web browser interferring with
them. Were you running anything?

> I'm using WinXP Pro (SP2) with a ATI HD3850 and v9.1 of the ATI drivers,
> with no CCC installed. The monitor is a Samsung 971p.
>
> Sorry, not much to go on.

At least we're not alone! :)
--
"God is a mean kid sitting on an ant-hill with a magnifying glass, and
I'm the ant." --Bruce Nolan (Bruce Almighty movie)