From: Paul Menage on
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzxreary(a)0pointer.de> wrote:
>> If you just want to track processes, mount a (named) hierarchy with no
>> attached subsystems.
>
> Oh, that is possible? How would I do that?
>
> This certainly doesn't work:
>
> # mount waldo -t cgroup /tmp/xxxx -o defaults

mount waldo -t cgroup /tmp/xxxx -o none,name=foo

Paul
From: Lennart Poettering on
On Fri, 14.05.10 02:37, Balbir Singh (balbir(a)linux.vnet.ibm.com) wrote:

> > > Oh, that is possible? How would I do that?
> > >
> > > This certainly doesn't work:
> > >
> > > # mount waldo -t cgroup /tmp/xxxx -o defaults
> >
> > An neither does this:
> >
> > # mount waldo -t cgroup /tmp/xxxx -o name=systemd
> >
> > (the mount() syscall fails with EINVAL here, the other one fails with EBUSY)
> >

> Can you try the command below
>
> mount -t cgroup cgroup -o none,name=hello /cgroup/
>
> Works for me.

That line certainly works, but unfortunately your own libcgroup
completely ignores mount points like this. Meh.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering Red Hat, Inc.
lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
From: Balbir Singh on
* Lennart Poettering <mzxreary(a)0pointer.de> [2010-05-14 01:55:42]:

> > > An neither does this:
> > >
> > > # mount waldo -t cgroup /tmp/xxxx -o name=systemd
> > >
> > > (the mount() syscall fails with EINVAL here, the other one fails with EBUSY)
> > >

> > Can you try the command below
> >
> > mount -t cgroup cgroup -o none,name=hello /cgroup/
> >
> > Works for me.
>
> That line certainly works, but unfortunately your own libcgroup
> completely ignores mount points like this. Meh.

Lets fix it, we never thought of using named hierarchies, but it
should not be too hard to fix.

--
Three Cheers,
Balbir
From: Dhaval Giani on
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Lennart Poettering
<mzxreary(a)0pointer.de> wrote:

>> > An neither does this:
>> >
>> > # mount waldo -t cgroup /tmp/xxxx -o name=systemd
>> >
>> > (the mount() syscall fails with EINVAL here, the other one fails with EBUSY)
>> >

>> Can you try the command below
>>
>> mount -t cgroup cgroup -o none,name=hello /cgroup/
>>
>> Works for me.
>
> That line certainly works, but unfortunately your own libcgroup
> completely ignores mount points like this. Meh.

That be my mistake. I missed this update to cgroups. A patch will be
coming out pretty soon!

Dhaval
From: Peter Zijlstra on
On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 11:13 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:

> I think the config options are the domains of the distributors

Whoever runs a distro kernel anyway? This is LKML, we're kernel devs.

> I am not sure why CONFIG_CGROUP=y is so bad, Peter, could you
> elaborate?

Because it adds code I don't use and adds to the compile overhead.