From: Harishankar on
Have you people embraced Python 3.x or still with 2.5 or 2.6?

I personally want to switch over but not too sure how many people are
using 3.x as opposed to 2 so I want to keep my programs compatible for
the majority.

-- Hari
From: Alex Hall on
Because of compatibility, and many modules being built for 2.6 only, I
am still on 2.6.4 (updating to .5 soon).

On 3/26/10, Harishankar <v.harishankar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you people embraced Python 3.x or still with 2.5 or 2.6?
>
> I personally want to switch over but not too sure how many people are
> using 3.x as opposed to 2 so I want to keep my programs compatible for
> the majority.
>
> -- Hari

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
mehgcap(a)gmail.com; http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap
From: Neil Cerutti on
On 2010-03-26, Harishankar <v.harishankar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you people embraced Python 3.x or still with 2.5 or 2.6?
>
> I personally want to switch over but not too sure how many
> people are using 3.x as opposed to 2 so I want to keep my
> programs compatible for the majority.

I switched 6 months ago, or so. My library needs are met by
what's in CPython, so I couldn't see, at the time, a good reason
to sit still.

My programs didn't take much effort to convert. They are nearly
all data conversion programs. Microsoft rendering the one outside
module I did use, an Excel reader, obsolete caused me a lot more
trouble than switching from 2.5 to 3.1.

Past advice in this forum has been that as long as you don't
depend on libraries that don't yet support Python 3, you can
probably switch over and not need to look back.

--
Neil Cerutti
From: Kevin Walzer on
On 3/26/10 9:23 AM, Harishankar wrote:
> Have you people embraced Python 3.x or still with 2.5 or 2.6?
>
> I personally want to switch over but not too sure how many people are
> using 3.x as opposed to 2 so I want to keep my programs compatible for
> the majority.
>
> -- Hari

Not yet. Some key libraries I am using for apps under development
haven't been ported to support 3.x yet (feedparser, pycrypto).

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
From: Gnarlodious on
I have been using Py3 since October, I switched over for the
OrderedDict feature. Some parts are a little hard to get used to, but
others are easier. I am doing web programming, so the UTF 8 default is
a big improvement.

-- Gnarlie