From: geremy condra on
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Dani Valverde <dani.valverde(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am using Linux. In fact, my first test
> have been with gedit. Is there any way to directly run the Python code into
> the console?

Gedit has a plugin that brings up a python intepreter.
Edit->Preferences->Plugins->python console I think.

Geremy Condra
From: Raju Angani on
On Jul 9, 11:43 am, geremy condra <debat...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Dani Valverde <dani.valve...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am using Linux. In fact, my first test
> > have been with gedit. Is there any way to directly run the Python code into
> > the console?
>
> Gedit has a plugin that brings up a python intepreter.
> Edit->Preferences->Plugins->python console I think.
>
> Geremy Condra

Hi Dani,
I started liking wingware ide, I used free version before my company
finally bought a licensed version.
Give it a try www.wingware.com

Raju Angani
From: Andreas Waldenburger on
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:49:20 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards
<invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 2010-07-09, Dani Valverde <dani.valverde(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am new to python and pretty new to programming (I have some
> > expertise wit R statistical programming language). I am just
> > starting, so my questions may be a little bit stupid. Can anyone
> > suggest a good editor for python?
>
> Emacs, Scite (has nice folding), Vim, Eclipse.

Great tips for a newbie.

Not.

Well, they might be, but chances are, they are overkill for people new
to programming and will only alienate them (Scite may be an exception).
Text editors are an acquired taste.

/W

--
INVALID? DE!

From: christian schulze on
On 9 Jul., 18:31, Dani Valverde <dani.valve...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
> I am new to python and pretty new to programming (I have some expertise
> wit R statistical programming language). I am just starting, so my
> questions may be a little bit stupid. Can anyone suggest a good editor
> for python?
> Cheers!
>
> Dani

Editors:
Scribes, vim, gVim, Emacs, Gedit, Joe, Kate, Leafpad, Mousepad, Nano

IDE's:
Eric, Geany, ActiveState, Anjuta, Bluefish, Code::Blocks, CodeDragon/
wxStudio, WingIDE

I suggest you to try around and find the editor/IDE that fits your
needs.

I use: Eric, Geany, Scribes, Emacs, Vim, gVim, Bluefish, (Gedit)
(You should give Eric a try, its a rather good Python IDE)

cheers
From: geremy condra on
On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 6:49 AM, Dani Valverde <dani.valverde(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> geremy condra wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Dani Valverde <dani.valverde(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am using Linux. In fact, my first test
>>> have been with gedit. Is there any way to directly run the Python code
>>> into
>>> the console?
>>>

>> Gedit has a plugin that brings up a python intepreter.
>> Edit->Preferences->Plugins->python console I think.
>>
>> Geremy Condra
>>

> I have this plugin enabled, but I don't know how to send the code to the
> console...

type it in?

Geremy Condra