From: RobertL on
On Apr 20, 12:39 pm, "Roger Mills" <watt.ty...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> My computer has recently developed a very annoying fault of locking up, and
> I need some help to diagnose and fix it.
>
> It's an HP/Compaq laptop running Win XP/SP3 but I'm using it as a desktop
> with additional monitor and separate keyboard/mouse.
>
> The symptoms are as follows:
> * The taskbar (which is usually hidden) displays when I mouse over it, and
> then freezes in position - and the clock doesn't update
> * The mouse pointer continues to move in response to mouse movements, but
> mouse clicks (mostly) have no effect
> * I am unable to open any new programs or shut down any that are open
> * Mailwasher (which I have permanently open on one of the monitors)
> continues to scan for emails and displays any new ones it finds. It even
> responds to mouse clicks to zap any emails I don't want - but it's virtually
> the only program which *does* respond to mouse clicks
> * This freeze-up happens every morning - not always at the same time, but
> usually between 10am and noon. [I can't find anything that's scheduled to
> happen at this time, which may cause it]
> * The only way (that I can find) to recover is to power down ("big red
> switch" job - except that it isn't red) and start again
> * Once restarted, it usually runs ok for the rest of the day
>
> Oh, and one final thing - I'm not sure whether it's relevant . .
> It has only started happening since I installed the software for a USB-based
> Canon all-in-one printer scanner - but the device itself is at another
> location  and so not physically connected - but the problem is still
> occurring. [The device doesn't show up in Device Manager, so I can't tell
> the system not to use it in this profile, or somesuch]
>
> Anyone come across anything like this, or got any ideas?

I had something similar and it turned out to be overheating. When the
PC gets hot it reduces the clock rate so it can cool off, but this
makes everything grind to a halt. Use a vacuum cleaner (with hose) to
suck through the air intake. You can get a lot of fluff in
there. Also make sure there is plenty of fresh air getting to the
air intake.

You can also download some software that monitors the temperature
sensors and see if that is happening. I use "SpeedFan".

Robert

From: John Whitworth on

"Roger Mills" <watt.tyler(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> My computer has recently developed a very annoying fault of locking up,
> and I need some help to diagnose and fix it.
>
> It's an HP/Compaq laptop running Win XP/SP3 but I'm using it as a desktop
> with additional monitor and separate keyboard/mouse.
>
> The symptoms are as follows:
> * The taskbar (which is usually hidden) displays when I mouse over it, and
> then freezes in position - and the clock doesn't update
> * The mouse pointer continues to move in response to mouse movements, but
> mouse clicks (mostly) have no effect
> * I am unable to open any new programs or shut down any that are open
> * Mailwasher (which I have permanently open on one of the monitors)
> continues to scan for emails and displays any new ones it finds. It even
> responds to mouse clicks to zap any emails I don't want - but it's
> virtually the only program which *does* respond to mouse clicks
> * This freeze-up happens every morning - not always at the same time, but
> usually between 10am and noon. [I can't find anything that's scheduled to
> happen at this time, which may cause it]
> * The only way (that I can find) to recover is to power down ("big red
> switch" job - except that it isn't red) and start again
> * Once restarted, it usually runs ok for the rest of the day
>
> Oh, and one final thing - I'm not sure whether it's relevant . .
> It has only started happening since I installed the software for a
> USB-based Canon all-in-one printer scanner - but the device itself is at
> another location and so not physically connected - but the problem is
> still occurring. [The device doesn't show up in Device Manager, so I can't
> tell the system not to use it in this profile, or somesuch]

In Device Manager, in View, have you ticked "Show Hidden Devices"? Can't
remember whether that will show disconnected USB devices for which the
drivers are still present.

Failing that, could you uninstall the printer driver using Add/Remove
programs? Then, when it is connected to the machine again, and you
reinstall, you could experiment with disabling the hardware in specific
profiles.

JW

From: John Whitworth on

"RobertL" <robertmlaws(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Apr 20, 12:39 pm, "Roger Mills" <watt.ty...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> My computer has recently developed a very annoying fault of locking up,
>> and
>> I need some help to diagnose and fix it.
>>
>> It's an HP/Compaq laptop running Win XP/SP3 but I'm using it as a desktop
>> with additional monitor and separate keyboard/mouse.
>>
>> The symptoms are as follows:
>> * The taskbar (which is usually hidden) displays when I mouse over it,
>> and
>> then freezes in position - and the clock doesn't update
>> * The mouse pointer continues to move in response to mouse movements, but
>> mouse clicks (mostly) have no effect
>> * I am unable to open any new programs or shut down any that are open
>> * Mailwasher (which I have permanently open on one of the monitors)
>> continues to scan for emails and displays any new ones it finds. It even
>> responds to mouse clicks to zap any emails I don't want - but it's
>> virtually
>> the only program which *does* respond to mouse clicks
>> * This freeze-up happens every morning - not always at the same time, but
>> usually between 10am and noon. [I can't find anything that's scheduled to
>> happen at this time, which may cause it]
>> * The only way (that I can find) to recover is to power down ("big red
>> switch" job - except that it isn't red) and start again
>> * Once restarted, it usually runs ok for the rest of the day
>>
>> Oh, and one final thing - I'm not sure whether it's relevant . .
>> It has only started happening since I installed the software for a
>> USB-based
>> Canon all-in-one printer scanner - but the device itself is at another
>> location and so not physically connected - but the problem is still
>> occurring. [The device doesn't show up in Device Manager, so I can't tell
>> the system not to use it in this profile, or somesuch]
>>
>> Anyone come across anything like this, or got any ideas?
>

> I had something similar and it turned out to be overheating. When the
> PC gets hot it reduces the clock rate so it can cool off, but this
> makes everything grind to a halt. Use a vacuum cleaner (with hose) to
> suck through the air intake. You can get a lot of fluff in
> there. Also make sure there is plenty of fresh air getting to the
> air intake.

Given the fairly good timing that the problem is keeping, I'm not so sure it
is that. Though it can't hurt to vacuum it out. Don't think you'll get much
through the air intakes though. Just open the case up, and then very
carefully hoover around with the crevice tool.

From: tony sayer on
In article <835i59FigfU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Roger Mills
<watt.tyler(a)googlemail.com> scribeth thus
>My computer has recently developed a very annoying fault of locking up, and
>I need some help to diagnose and fix it.
>
>It's an HP/Compaq laptop running Win XP/SP3 but I'm using it as a desktop
>with additional monitor and separate keyboard/mouse.
>
>The symptoms are as follows:
>* The taskbar (which is usually hidden) displays when I mouse over it, and
>then freezes in position - and the clock doesn't update
>* The mouse pointer continues to move in response to mouse movements, but
>mouse clicks (mostly) have no effect
>* I am unable to open any new programs or shut down any that are open
>* Mailwasher (which I have permanently open on one of the monitors)
>continues to scan for emails and displays any new ones it finds. It even
>responds to mouse clicks to zap any emails I don't want - but it's virtually
>the only program which *does* respond to mouse clicks
>* This freeze-up happens every morning - not always at the same time, but
>usually between 10am and noon. [I can't find anything that's scheduled to
>happen at this time, which may cause it]
>* The only way (that I can find) to recover is to power down ("big red
>switch" job - except that it isn't red) and start again
>* Once restarted, it usually runs ok for the rest of the day
>
>Oh, and one final thing - I'm not sure whether it's relevant . .
>It has only started happening since I installed the software for a USB-based
>Canon all-in-one printer scanner - but the device itself is at another
>location and so not physically connected - but the problem is still
>occurring. [The device doesn't show up in Device Manager, so I can't tell
>the system not to use it in this profile, or somesuch]
>
>Anyone come across anything like this, or got any ideas?
>
>TIA.

If it were me...

1. Power supply responsible for a lot of faults like this.

2. Video card overheating sometimes

3. Possible overheating prolly linked with 3

4. UN-install the Canon prog

5. Be thankful you've got XP and not Vister;)..
--
Tony Sayer

From: John Whitworth on

"tony sayer" <tony(a)bancom.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <835i59FigfU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Roger Mills
> <watt.tyler(a)googlemail.com> scribeth thus
>>My computer has recently developed a very annoying fault of locking up,
>>and
>>I need some help to diagnose and fix it.
>>
>>It's an HP/Compaq laptop running Win XP/SP3 but I'm using it as a desktop
>>with additional monitor and separate keyboard/mouse.
>>
>>The symptoms are as follows:
>>* The taskbar (which is usually hidden) displays when I mouse over it, and
>>then freezes in position - and the clock doesn't update
>>* The mouse pointer continues to move in response to mouse movements, but
>>mouse clicks (mostly) have no effect
>>* I am unable to open any new programs or shut down any that are open
>>* Mailwasher (which I have permanently open on one of the monitors)
>>continues to scan for emails and displays any new ones it finds. It even
>>responds to mouse clicks to zap any emails I don't want - but it's
>>virtually
>>the only program which *does* respond to mouse clicks
>>* This freeze-up happens every morning - not always at the same time, but
>>usually between 10am and noon. [I can't find anything that's scheduled to
>>happen at this time, which may cause it]
>>* The only way (that I can find) to recover is to power down ("big red
>>switch" job - except that it isn't red) and start again
>>* Once restarted, it usually runs ok for the rest of the day
>>
>>Oh, and one final thing - I'm not sure whether it's relevant . .
>>It has only started happening since I installed the software for a
>>USB-based
>>Canon all-in-one printer scanner - but the device itself is at another
>>location and so not physically connected - but the problem is still
>>occurring. [The device doesn't show up in Device Manager, so I can't tell
>>the system not to use it in this profile, or somesuch]
>>
>>Anyone come across anything like this, or got any ideas?
>>
>>TIA.
>
> If it were me...
>
> 1. Power supply responsible for a lot of faults like this.
Why would a PSU cause some most of Windows to freeze, but Mailwasher to keep
going, at around 10.00am each morning?

> 2. Video card overheating sometimes
If it were a video card issue, everything would have probably stopped on the
screen. But it seems to be application specific.