From: Patriot on
Hello,

I am assigned to replace an old Web application (written by some
contractors) with new asp.net application.

The current application has an integration to Lotus Notes to send
email and record in-coming email to the its database. To do this, they
have some ActiveX to open Lotus Notes windows to handle out going
messages and in Lotus Notes they also use Lotus Script (similar to VB)
to handle incoming messages.

To send messages from the application, the application will activate
Lotus Notes windows and populate the mail form with data from the
application (Recipients, Subjects, Body text, attachment....). Then
the users will either fill out some more text in the body and/or other
fields and click Send to send the message.

With incoming messages, they have to write some Lotus Script (or VB
codes) to use the ActivateX COM object and pass data (Sender, Body
text...) to the COM object, pass control to the web application, show
the data in the web form and the user will save the record or fill out
some more data before saving.

What is it available for me to tackle this problem as I don't see
Microsoft Visual Studio have ActiveX template?

Thank you.
From: Mr. Arnold on

<http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/uploadfile/dsandor/activexinnet11102005040748am/activexinnet.aspx>
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317392>
From: Gregory A. Beamer on

"Patriot" <tim.leh(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am assigned to replace an old Web application (written by some
> contractors) with new asp.net application.
>
> <SNIPPED>
>
> With incoming messages, they have to write some Lotus Script (or VB
> codes) to use the ActivateX COM object and pass data (Sender, Body
> text...) to the COM object, pass control to the web application, show
> the data in the web form and the user will save the record or fill out
> some more data before saving.

Create a reference to the ActivateX COM object (?) and it will create a .NET
Interop wrapper for you (you can also do this manually with TmlImp.exe, but
why use outside tools when Visual Studio will do it for you).

The pain here is there is often some "translation" from COM to .NET types. A
quick Google search should find some info on using COM in .NET. Sorry to
hear you had some contractors. ;-)

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

From: Patriot on
Thank you Mr. Arnold for the links. They look informative (with
sample...yeah...). I will explore this option.

Thanks Greg. I am quite sure what you mean here as I'm not fully
using .Net to develop. I'm mostly handling the legacy systems in
Foxpro (sigh*). My knowledge in .Net is really far behind the trend.
If you could explain in more details, I really appreciate it.
From: Patriot on
Thank you Mr. Arnold for the links. They look informative (with
sample...yeah...). I will explore this option.

Thanks Greg. I am not quite sure what you mean here as I'm not fully