From: shreemayeede on
I need hep with these three problems:

1) A block is hung by a string from the inside roof of a van. When
the van goes straight ahead at a speed of 23 m/s, the block hangs
vertically down. But when the van maintains this same speed around an
unbanked curve (radius = 150 m), the block swings toward the outside
of the curve. Then the string makes an angle theta with the vertical.
Find theta.

2) Your baggage is on a carousel at an airport. Your suitcase has not
slid all the way down the slope and is going around at a constant
speed on a circle (r = 12.6 m) as the carousel turns. The coefficient
of static friction between the suitcase and the carousel is 0.760, and
the angle that the baggage on the carousel makes with the horizontal
plane is 36.0°. How much time is required for your suitcase to go
around once?

3) In an automatic clothes drier, a hollow cylinder moves the clothes
on a vertical circle (radius r = 0.39 m). The appliance is designed so
that the clothes tumble gently as they dry. This means that when a
piece of clothing reaches an angle of above the horizontal, it loses
contact with the wall of the cylinder and falls onto the clothes
below. How many revolutions per second should the cylinder make in
order that the clothes lose contact with the wall when theta = 72.0°?

Thank you very much for your help.

From: hhc314 on
On Sep 30, 12:57 am, shreemaye...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> I need hep with these three problems:
>
> 1) A block is hung by a string from the inside roof of a van. When
> the van goes straight ahead at a speed of 23 m/s, the block hangs
> vertically down. But when the van maintains this same speed around an
> unbanked curve (radius = 150 m), the block swings toward the outside
> of the curve. Then the string makes an angle theta with the vertical.
> Find theta.
>
> 2) Your baggage is on a carousel at an airport. Your suitcase has not
> slid all the way down the slope and is going around at a constant
> speed on a circle (r = 12.6 m) as the carousel turns. The coefficient
> of static friction between the suitcase and the carousel is 0.760, and
> the angle that the baggage on the carousel makes with the horizontal
> plane is 36.0°. How much time is required for your suitcase to go
> around once?
>
> 3) In an automatic clothes drier, a hollow cylinder moves the clothes
> on a vertical circle (radius r = 0.39 m). The appliance is designed so
> that the clothes tumble gently as they dry. This means that when a
> piece of clothing reaches an angle of above the horizontal, it loses
> contact with the wall of the cylinder and falls onto the clothes
> below. How many revolutions per second should the cylinder make in
> order that the clothes lose contact with the wall when theta = 72.0°?
>
> Thank you very much for your help.

What's the matter? Didn't you read your textbook, or pay any
attention to the lectures?

Better that you should flunk your physics course, then wisely switch
into phycholoy or a simililar mushy and subjective study.

Harry C.

From: Androcles on

<shreemayeede(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

Homework is of no benefit if someone else does it for you.

From: John C. Polasek on
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:57:39 -0000, shreemayeede(a)gmail.com wrote:

>I need hep with these three problems:
>
>1) A block is hung by a string from the inside roof of a van. When
>the van goes straight ahead at a speed of 23 m/s, the block hangs
>vertically down. But when the van maintains this same speed around an
>unbanked curve (radius = 150 m), the block swings toward the outside
>of the curve. Then the string makes an angle theta with the vertical.
>Find theta.
>
>2) Your baggage is on a carousel at an airport. Your suitcase has not
>slid all the way down the slope and is going around at a constant
>speed on a circle (r = 12.6 m) as the carousel turns. The coefficient
>of static friction between the suitcase and the carousel is 0.760, and
>the angle that the baggage on the carousel makes with the horizontal
>plane is 36.0�. How much time is required for your suitcase to go
>around once?
>
>3) In an automatic clothes drier, a hollow cylinder moves the clothes
>on a vertical circle (radius r = 0.39 m). The appliance is designed so
>that the clothes tumble gently as they dry. This means that when a
>piece of clothing reaches an angle of above the horizontal, it loses
>contact with the wall of the cylinder and falls onto the clothes
>below. How many revolutions per second should the cylinder make in
>order that the clothes lose contact with the wall when theta = 72.0�?
>
>Thank you very much for your help.
As a start draw some vector diagrams. You should be able to label some
of the legs with forces. If you can't solve them from these figures,
you can't solve them with algebra either.
John Polasek
From: shreemayeede on
On Sep 30, 10:30 am, John C. Polasek <jpola...(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:57:39 -0000, shreemaye...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> >I need hep with these three problems:
>
> >1) A block is hung by a string from the inside roof of a van. When
> >the van goes straight ahead at a speed of 23 m/s, the block hangs
> >vertically down. But when the van maintains this same speed around an
> >unbanked curve (radius = 150 m), the block swings toward the outside
> >of the curve. Then the string makes an angle theta with the vertical.
> >Find theta.
>
> >2) Your baggage is on a carousel at an airport. Your suitcase has not
> >slid all the way down the slope and is going around at a constant
> >speed on a circle (r = 12.6 m) as the carousel turns. The coefficient
> >of static friction between the suitcase and the carousel is 0.760, and
> >the angle that the baggage on the carousel makes with the horizontal
> >plane is 36.0°. How much time is required for your suitcase to go
> >around once?
>
> >3) In an automatic clothes drier, a hollow cylinder moves the clothes
> >on a vertical circle (radius r = 0.39 m). The appliance is designed so
> >that the clothes tumble gently as they dry. This means that when a
> >piece of clothing reaches an angle of above the horizontal, it loses
> >contact with the wall of the cylinder and falls onto the clothes
> >below. How many revolutions per second should the cylinder make in
> >order that the clothes lose contact with the wall when theta = 72.0°?
>
> >Thank you very much for your help.
>
> As a start draw some vector diagrams. You should be able to label some
> of the legs with forces. If you can't solve them from these figures,
> you can't solve them with algebra either.
> John Polasek

The post that told me to read my book or to pay attention in lecture,
I have done so. I have drawn vector diagrams, I have tried a lot of
different techniques. But my answers are wrong. If I could at least a
hint how to start the problems, that will be great.

Thank you