From: bobmct on
Gentlemen;

I have a several year old HP Pavilion ze4500 and some months ago the
DVD stopped being recognized. In lieu of the estimated repair price I
opted to purchase a Samsung external USB DVD drive.

Neither works! Here's what happens:

When first booted I can see the D: (internal) drive and the E:
(external) drives. However, using Windows Explorer, if I select
either, the appropriate drive led flickers and shortly the drive
device disappears. End of story. If I try to re-enable it using the
device manager I am told that another instance of the driver is
already memory resident. The ONLY way to see the drive(s) again is
with a reboot and then, as stated, once clicked the drive disappears.

I'm running XP Home SP3 and according to HP and Samsung sites, I've
got the latest drivers installed. The internal appears to be SCSI
based and the external is USB and appears with a yellow ! in the
device manager.

Any ideas as to what to do next would be GREATLY appreciated. At this
point I'm stumped.

Thanks - B
From: BillW50 on
In news:tp2aa598teptcabohqijieavraiegr9dtq(a)4ax.com,
bobmct typed on Mon, 07 Sep 2009 09:40:05 -0400:
> Gentlemen;
>
> I have a several year old HP Pavilion ze4500 and some months ago the
> DVD stopped being recognized. In lieu of the estimated repair price I
> opted to purchase a Samsung external USB DVD drive.

If it is the Samsung SE-S084 external DVD drive, that is a great drive!
<grin>

> Neither works! Here's what happens:
>
> When first booted I can see the D: (internal) drive and the E:
> (external) drives. However, using Windows Explorer, if I select
> either, the appropriate drive led flickers and shortly the drive
> device disappears. End of story. If I try to re-enable it using the
> device manager I am told that another instance of the driver is
> already memory resident. The ONLY way to see the drive(s) again is
> with a reboot and then, as stated, once clicked the drive disappears.
>
> I'm running XP Home SP3 and according to HP and Samsung sites, I've
> got the latest drivers installed. The internal appears to be SCSI
> based and the external is USB and appears with a yellow ! in the
> device manager.
>
> Any ideas as to what to do next would be GREATLY appreciated. At this
> point I'm stumped.
>
> Thanks - B

Well you shouldn't need any drivers at all for the Samsung at least. I
don't believe the built in one would be SCSI, but I could be wrong. The
stock Windows drivers should take care of the Samsung. Although XP only
supports the CD side and not the DVD writing part. For that you need
Nero or something which this drive comes with. So can it read at least
CD-ROMs? Also right clicking on My Computer and selecting Manage and
click on Disk Management. Does it show up there? You should be able to
change the drive letter here too.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

From: bobmct on
On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:37:37 -0500, "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>In news:tp2aa598teptcabohqijieavraiegr9dtq(a)4ax.com,
>If it is the Samsung SE-S084 external DVD drive, that is a great drive!
><grin>
Well, that is the model but I've yet to get it to work.

>Well you shouldn't need any drivers at all for the Samsung at least. I
>don't believe the built in one would be SCSI, but I could be wrong. The
>stock Windows drivers should take care of the Samsung. Although XP only
>supports the CD side and not the DVD writing part. For that you need
>Nero or something which this drive comes with. So can it read at least
>CD-ROMs? Also right clicking on My Computer and selecting Manage and
>click on Disk Management. Does it show up there? You should be able to
>change the drive letter here too.

My internal CDROM/DVD drive shows in the device manager as "working"
but again, when I click on the drive ID to show the contents, a few
moments later the drive disappears from the device manager.

Also, the Samsung drives doesn't appear but in device manager under
the USB controller hub one of the four lines shows a USB device with
the infamous yellow exclamation point on it.

So, TWO drives, NONE working. I'm stumped.

From: BillW50 on
In news:qggaa5d449c6ordle2gjcv7ch7fhfpu9ur(a)4ax.com,
bobmct typed on Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:28:57 -0400:
> On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:37:37 -0500, "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> In news:tp2aa598teptcabohqijieavraiegr9dtq(a)4ax.com,
>> If it is the Samsung SE-S084 external DVD drive, that is a great
>> drive! <grin>
>
> Well, that is the model but I've yet to get it to work.

I have one and I know two other people having one too. All three are
flawless.

>> Well you shouldn't need any drivers at all for the Samsung at least.
>> I don't believe the built in one would be SCSI, but I could be
>> wrong. The stock Windows drivers should take care of the Samsung.
>> Although XP only supports the CD side and not the DVD writing part.
>> For that you need Nero or something which this drive comes with. So
>> can it read at least CD-ROMs? Also right clicking on My Computer and
>> selecting Manage and click on Disk Management. Does it show up
>> there? You should be able to change the drive letter here too.
>
> My internal CDROM/DVD drive shows in the device manager as "working"
> but again, when I click on the drive ID to show the contents, a few
> moments later the drive disappears from the device manager.

Well I am thinking right now that this drive has a flaky or bad laser.
Which is very common and they last about as long as light bulbs. Can it
read either CD or DVD? As reading CD uses a different laser than reading
DVD.

> Also, the Samsung drives doesn't appear but in device manager under
> the USB controller hub one of the four lines shows a USB device with
> the infamous yellow exclamation point on it.
>
> So, TWO drives, NONE working. I'm stumped.

The yellow exclamation point under properties should say what is wrong.
Are you just using the cable that came with the drive and not using
anything like a hub or extra cable? As the later it might not work. Also
have you tried plugging both USB plugs into two USB ports?

From: Happy Oyster on
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:28:57 -0400, bobmct <r.mariotti(a)fdcx.net> wrote:

>So, TWO drives, NONE working.

But why?

Can you use the very same USB connector for attaching an other device with USB?

Can you read a USB stick or an SD card?

Did you try to install games somewhen?

Did you install a virtual CD-drive somewhen?
--
**** WARNING **** The web-hoster Globat.com steals money from your
credit card account. If you are a customer of Globat.com, never give