From: Damon on
Hi,

I have an address that comes though which may be 69-79 RUBY STREET or
129-179 RUBY STREET etc. I want to be able to do a sum on these addresses
i.e. 79-69 or 179-129 so I can tell how many houses are within that specific
block. Is this possible?

Appreciate the help

Thanks

Damon

From: Dave on
What has this got to do with Trim? that strips leading and trailing spaces
from a string.

Listen carefully

Subtract the small number from the big number.

Presumably you want to split the string into numbers first, it would help if
you worked out what you wanted to do and worded yor question clearly.

There are any number of ways to split the string, the easiest would be to
iterate through the string, copy numbers to a new string, then once the
first number ends move on to a new variable. Another possiblity is to swap
every non-numeric with a space, then use Trim and then Split with a space as
a delimiter.

Of course it will never work because you have no way of knowing if the
address just refers to odd or even numbers or all of them, there is also the
possibilty of sub-addresses like 69a Ruby St, 69b Ruby St. etc.

Dave O.

From: Damon on
Hi,

I have placed this under trim because if I used "Range = RTrim(Left(!m_add1,
7))" then that would bring back 129-179 but if it was 69-79 that would bring
back 69-79 R. I wanted to be able to trim the r off. Also the reason I am
doing the sum in the first place is to match it up with the recordcount to
see if they are CONTINUOUS, if the sum is less than the recordcount I can
work out if they are "EVEN" or "ODD".

From: Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB] on

"Damon" <nonsense(a)nononsense.com> wrote in message

> I have an address that comes though which may be 69-79 RUBY STREET or
> 129-179 RUBY STREET etc. I want to be able to do a sum on these addresses
> i.e. 79-69 or 179-129 so I can tell how many houses are within that
> specific block. Is this possible?

In the US? Sure, it's possible. Of course, you'll have to subscribe to the
Post Office's database so that you can do Delivery Point Verification (DPV).
You see, just because the house numbers fall within a given RANGE doesn't
mean that they ALL exist.

Translation: you're not going to be able to do for real this without
purchasing a third-party tool.

From: Rick Rothstein [MVP - Visual Basic] on
> I have placed this under trim because if I used "Range =
RTrim(Left(!m_add1,
> 7))" then that would bring back 129-179 but if it was 69-79 that would
bring
> back 69-79 R. I wanted to be able to trim the r off.

The problem you are having is because you are hard-coding the number of
characters for the Left function to return and, as you see, that number is
not always correct. What you need to do is let the program figure out where
the first blank character is instead of trying guess at its location. VB has
a function named InStr with will do that. It returns the first occurrence of
a specified substring within a given text string after an optionally
(defaulted to 1) specified starting location within the string. So, you
could do this...

FirstBlankPosition = InStr(!m_add1, " ")
Range = Left(!m_add1, FirstBlankPosition - 1)

Notice that I have eliminated the need for the RTrim function call by doing
this. Since InStr is finding the first blank, there are none before it,
specifying one less than that position (to the Left function) automatically
excludes the blank. The only thing you have to worry about is if there are
ever any blanks placed around that dash separating the numbers.

Rick

Also the reason I am
> doing the sum in the first place is to match it up with the recordcount to
> see if they are CONTINUOUS, if the sum is less than the recordcount I can
> work out if they are "EVEN" or "ODD".
>
> "Dave" <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > What has this got to do with Trim? that strips leading and trailing
spaces
> > from a string.
> >
> > Listen carefully
> >
> > Subtract the small number from the big number.
> >
> > Presumably you want to split the string into numbers first, it would
help
> > if you worked out what you wanted to do and worded yor question clearly.
> >
> > There are any number of ways to split the string, the easiest would be
> > iterate through the string, copy numbers to a new string, then once the
> > first number ends move on to a new variable. Another possiblity is to
swap
> > every non-numeric with a space, then use Trim and then Split with a
space
> > as a delimiter.
> >
> > Of course it will never work because you have no way of knowing if the
> > address just refers to odd or even numbers or all of them, there is also
> > the possibilty of sub-addresses like 69a Ruby St, 69b Ruby St. etc.
> >
> > Dave O.
> >

> > "Damon" <nonsense(a)nononsense.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have an address that comes though which may be 69-79 RUBY STREET or
> >> 129-179 RUBY STREET etc. I want to be able to do a sum on these
> >> addresses i.e. 79-69 or 179-129 so I can tell how many houses are
within
> >> that specific block. Is this possible?
> >>
> >> Appreciate the help
> >>
> >> Thanks